Since the Little Su was cancelled for 2013, Matt and I find we
have a hole in our travel plans (January or February) and some extra
cash to play with. Several other trips have been proposed. Want to
weigh in?
1. Hawaii. We’re not “sit on the beach with umbrella booze drinks” people, so it would be trail running, hiking, and maybe a day or two of that beachy stuff.
2. Faaaaaaaaairbanks. Visits with our long-lost friends….then for fun: A seven day, 105 mi foot/ski tour of the White Mountains cabin system. Basically the White Mountains 100 course with built-in snooze breaks.
3. Wilson Creek Frozen 50K in Idaho. Ever been to Idaho? Nope, me neither, could be worth checking out, no?
4. Ray Miller 50M near Malibu, CA. Sounds like torture and heaven at the same time, doesn’t it?
Which one would you choose and why?
Or do you have another suggestion?
4 comments:
I've heard really great things about Idaho.
I was JUST talking yesterday to someone about Ray Miller. Chances are good that I'll at least be there - possibly running, not sure - so that's my vote.
Ray Miller!! Warmth! Sunshine! Torture! What else could you want in a race, eh?
They all sound great and parts of Idaho are nice, rugged and wildish, though can't compare to the White Mountains course.
P.S. I've had an allergy scratch test. Not too awful. Your target allergens might puff up and itch but it's not hideous or anything.
Hawaii. Do something different. You can backpack and snorkel and swim. And run on the beach.
Beat and I are headed to Fairbanks over Christmas break for his Iditarod training. We're planning a sled tour in the Whites, although I'm not sure whether we'll do the whole loop or an overnight out-and-back with camping. He is actually excited about twenty-two hours of darkness and is hoping for 40 below. Oi.
The loop is fantastic but seven days sounds like a long time/lots of food to carry. I think four days/three nights would be plenty leisurely, especially with skis. Eight hours on the trail each day. I guess if you are working with January's daylight, you may want to stick to 12-mile days. Still, that is lots of time cooped up in a tiny cabin, stoking those tiny stoves (Borealis cabin was NEVER warm when I've been there, despite best efforts of volunteers). Anyway, something to consider.
Hawaii is amazing. I especially love the Big Island and have always wanted to hike to the Na Pali Coast on Kauai. If you want an ultra experience you guys could always time it to pace someone at the HURT 100 in mid-January.
Post a Comment