Just two days after the half, I found myself out running fast again: MRP 5 mi. My sore legs protested the movement at first. They quickly remembered the pace I went out at the half and were eager to return to that. My legs have a good memory sometimes. When I reached the halfway point, I found myself slowing down to keep it slow enough for MRP. This week is going to be a tough one, beginning with a half marathon and then ending with about 60 miles, not a good time to pound myself more than necessary. "I couldn't believe how easy it was to get you out today," Matt commented when we neared the end, "Usually when you're tired, it takes awhile." It also stretched my legs out enough that I was finally rid of race day soreness.
We later went out for Matt's MRP run. He also struggled with running slow enough. I struggled on the bike. He enjoys running in a place that I physically have to get off the bike, carry it 100 ft. and then get back on. They still haven't finished the trail, so a bridge stands alone in a sandy area next to train tracks. It does come in contact with fewer cars than my route, so I can't complain much other than wow, he is hard to catch sometimes!
Today, I went out for a solo easy run of 5 miles. It doesn't happen often, but when I go easy by myself, I take music. It is slow, meditative. I can sort through my thoughts, my goals, my life. Runs like that bring me back to the reason I've stuck with running all these years: decompression. Some people watch TV or have a beer to unwind, I go for really slow runs. I began running in college, unwinding after long days of classes. I ran in the mornings only on days I had exams. Thoughts in my head swirled with the endorphins and always provided me with great clarity. Of all the runs I do throughout hard training, the ones I need the most are these easy days. I've also found that running is the only thing that breaks up my sinus congestion and gets rid of the headaches, so five days a week (two easy) is perfect!
Technically, I've got 12 more runs until the taper. Right on schedule with the fatigue, I'd say.
Most people struggle with the taper itself, but I find that the last few weeks before the taper are worst. How about you???
2 comments:
I'm completely with you. Usually by the taper, I am MORE than ready for it!
I'm not experienced enough and my training has been so wonky, I'm not sure what I will even consider during the taper (probably just won't go to CF, and will some miles in). This marathon is going to be run on a lot of heart and hope that I just run it smart but successfully.
Post a Comment