Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tempo Run #6

It has been warmer than normal here, sunny, and ridiculously humid because of that darn ocean being right there. Add that to my allergies and you can imagine how my tempo run went today.

I started out feeling really great. I ran two miles into the wind. It felt great running in the wind, it seemed to cancel out the humidity. The next three at tempo pace, into the wind, were harder to sustain. I kept burping up the coffee in my stomach and my biggest accomplishment of those miles was to keep myself from vomiting. (What's up tummy?? IBS attack today because of the coffee?)

When I reached the turn around at 5 total miles, I decided that I didn't want to do his suggestion of six tempo miles. I hadn't even planned to run a tempo this week, but Matt thought it would renew my confidence to "redo" last week's tempo. I guess I didn't let on how terrible it felt because he was surprised one mile later when I decided to slow it down after just four tempo miles. He said that I looked so strong. Basically though, my heart just wasn't in it. I ran another 2 miles at MRP.

2 mile warm-up : 18:40, 9:22 mi.
4 mile Tempo : 31:18, 7:49/mi.
2 mile MRP : 16:52, 8:26/mi.
8 miles : 1:06.59, 8:22/mi.

Next week is a tempo-free week. I'll be hitting the Redwoods to run a trail that I've hiked with friends but Matt has never seen. It's going to be FAB-U-LOUS! :) Need a break to re-ignite my enthusiasm for speedwork.

No comments: