As Hubby and I built our training schedule, it was hard to decide what would be too much for me and what wouldn't. I've never really done formal speed training consistently, and the most recent time I tried, I ended up over-trained and running a slower marathon than I should have because of it. Cautious became my middle name.
So when we built the training plan, we took a shot in the dark for our first marathon race pace portion within the weekly long run.
16 miles (8 at MRP)
We set off at a 9:00/mi. Perfect pace for me really. It felt like an easy run, and I was so comfortable that I wanted to go faster. Careful to rein in my enthusiasm and run the prescribed pace for the first eight miles, we moved effortlessly down city sidewalks.
First eight miles : 1:10.50, 8:51/mi.
Okay, so a little fast. But the last three of it were slightly downhill, so I just let myself go at that "easy" feel.
The first real uphill came at mile 8, precisely when I was to speed up to the MRP. Not exactly the best timing for the fast portion. We continued uphill until mile 10, where I thought I was going to die trying for MRP. But just as I was ready to collapse, we turned slightly down and headed to Old Town. My pace quickly recovered and I tried to make up lost time. Yeah, bad idea, right? Soon we were on the same street I run my tempo runs.
Compared to the tempo runs, I felt full of energy. So I unknowingly sped up. I had to stop for some walk breaks to catch my breath. It kinda sucked going at my race pace. How was I ever going to pull it off?
After a few more mini meltdowns resulting in walk breaks, I returned home in a slump of disappointment.
2:19.13 for 16 miles, 8:42/mi.
1:10.50 first 8 miles, 8:51/mi.
1:08.10 last 8 miles, 8:31/mi.
I realize that I probably shouldn't have gone for HALF of my long run at race pace and something more like 1/4 of it. Or maybe I should have done the first half at a slower pace? I don't know. Either way, I tried to focus on the positive aspects of the run:
1. Negative splits by a respectable margin.
2. Last training cycle, I would've killed for anything under a 9:00/mi.
3. My first time even trying for the MRP.
4. Several more long runs and tempos lie ahead, plenty of time to dig up some fast.
5. I finally broke down and bought a new running backpack. It ROCKS! No longer are my poor boobies squished by the straps. It fits like a dream and dries really fast, so I'm not lugging around pounds of my own sweat. YAY! :)
Do you have any suggestions on how I should structure my long runs to include marathon race pace portions?
4 comments:
Would love to hear more about your backpack :)
Usually, I hear people putting their mrp portion in the middle, with a warmup and a cooldown. Me, I just run, haha. Maybe in another year or 2, I'll actually pay attention to paces...
Yeah, I just used to run. Because I think if you do the long runs at a much slower pace, your body gets used to that pace. How about shorter runs at a faster pace and your longer runs all at MRP? Is that crazy? I mean, you have to do it all at MRP on race day. Maybe you are shooting for too fast a pace? But I don't know much...what kind of pack is that?
My backpack is a Nathan Hydration Vest. It pretty much rocks my world.
Most marathon training plans suggest that you do more short-distance speed work and run your long run about :45-1:30/mi slower than your planned race pace. I think the idea is that the adrenaline of race day will speed you up enough.
In my limited experience, I've found that it speeds me up some, but not THAT much. It actually suggests that you don't do ANY MRP miles in the long run. *sigh* Information overload......
I ran my PR the year I did loops for my long run (about 3.5 miles each) and would do:
1 warmup
2-3 tempo (faster than race pace)
1 marathon race pace
1 cooldown
Post a Comment