Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stuart Fork, Trinities. Day 1.

Remember that 20 mile run last week? Well I took a 30 minute ice bath that night, had trouble sleeping because my feet were still cold. I got maybe six hours of broken sleep and packed the car before heading to the office to pick up Matt and his co-worker friend, Brian.

After a few hours of driving, we made it to the trail with only mild carsickness. Highway 299 is crazy twisty. By now it was about six p.m.
We hiked just as far as we had to for a campsite. It turned out to be about three miles, with a gradual uphill, to the spot we camped. My legs felt absolutely none of the previous day's effort. My cold was raring its ugly head though. Perhaps the pain in my head helped me ignore the fact that I had run my fastest 20 mile run just one day prior.

Campsite photo from the next morning.
We camped on a flat near the Stuart Fork and everything was set up just as the last hint of daylight slipped from the sky. I took some Benadryl to keep my sinuses free while I slept. If I was going to keep up this activity level with a cold, I really needed some solid sleep at night. (Nyquil seems to keep me awake rather than do put me to sleep. Anyone else notice this?)

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yay backpacking. That campsite looks well used.

Ewa said...

It is amazing how fast your legs recover from intense running.
I haven't used Nyquil in ages but I remember it knocking me out and then leaving me totally dry to the point of discomfort. I stopped using cold meds altogether. Maybe if I had a cold on a camping trip...