Just one day after arriving in southern Michigan, Matt and I embarked on our first run in the snow. I have to admit, I've been kind of worried that I'd be too wimpy to run in barely-double-digit temperatures. After all, I haven't seen my winter coat since March last year. But I bought a beautiful new headlamp and HAD to try it out. I had to try it before we drove back home, in case it wasn't bright enough and I needed to return it. Also, I wanted to prove to myself that I still was part Alaskan, if not geographically, at least in spirit and guts.
Dressed in double the layers I wore on my coldest runs in California, we set out into the darkness. A glow hung in the sky from the moon overhead. My new headlamp could have lit the way for five runners, all in a row. It was exactly what I was hoping for. Sixty lumens of reassurance lit the way. I do NOT want to fall.
The familiar sound of crunching snow beneath every footfall made my heart melt. I really miss that sound, the crunch playing a rhythmic duet with my breathing. Every breath was more laborious, breathing through a thick face mask. I remembered the difficulties of winter running. And I loved it. Memories of -40 and frosty eyelashes, constant risk of frostbite, and ice fog-induced asthma swirled through my brain. Cold legs right now? Not as cold as those days in Alaska. This is much easier. I was reassured that my tolerance to running in cold is remarkably high.
We managed to average an 8:30/mi despite slipping a bunch in the soft snow. 4 miles. I completely plan on finishing my entire week of running in the winter weather, soaking in all the winter I can.
It's safe to say that I haven't lost my Alaska running guts. And I'm ecstatic about that.
(for those just joining us : I am a five year cancer survivor of Ewing's Sarcoma, found in my left radius bone. My left arm is brittle from radiation treatments and complete re-engineering. It works reasonably well, but if I fall and break it, it will not heal. EVER. So falling = amputation. So far, I've only had to cut one activity completely : downhill skiing, most others are modified.)
4 comments:
When I ran in Poland a couple of years ago I noticed that I slipped less running than walking. Go figure.
Many runners swear by yak-trax (sp?) but I never had a chance to try them.
I have something similar to YakTrax, but they have spikes instead of the coils. I use them when the ice and snow is a little bit deeper. Otherwise I land unevenly on the spikes and end up with sore ankles and knees. They are pretty great. :)
I am just joining so thanks for the catch up. I know it's trite to say but you are super inspiring.
Thanks Danni. I don't think I'm inspiring, I'm just doing what I have to do to make myself happy :)
Post a Comment