After the race on Saturday and 30 Day Shred on Sunday, I awoke this morning with a rapidly thumping heartbeat : overtrained, not to mention my knee was still tweaked a little bit.
Recovery plan 1 :
1. Switch to Ariel's for 2-3 weeks. Then work the lighter shoe back in on shorter runs.
2. No tempo runs. Run slow, working on form.
3. Cross-train.
4. Massage
Recovery plan 2 :
Stop running entirely and go absolutely nuts.
----
So far, it's working. This morning, Matt and I went for an easy 5 miler. We heard about an unmarked trail near our house. The trailhead is .75mi from it, to be exact. Perfect distance. The trail was packed dirt and grass. Like the kind of ideal surface all the running books advise you to find, but nobody really does. In the last two weeks, this was the least painful run by far. The trail wound through open marshland, thick bushes, and then to a really sketchy tent city for homeless people. When we got to that and an old abandoned concrete building, the hair on my neck stood up and signaled danger, so we turned back. I'm not afraid of homeless people in particular, but our town has a lot of illegal drugs, so we didn't want to happen upon some kind of deal. We got 5 miles out of the trip and found a new route!!! And I got my runner's high without a sore knee. Good start to the day!
1 comment:
Good knee, nice knee. :) Hope it keeps behaving.
Post a Comment