Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sub Zero Wind

It took me several years in Alaska to realize that running in sub-zero was possible. In the 21 years I lived in Michigan, I never ran below 15F. I was a slow runner wearing lots of cotton. It was too much work.

Today's run was a reminder of why I didn't really run in Michigan, but was okay with it in Alaska : the Wind. We set out for our three mile run today. A brutal west wind, slapped me in the face while my hand was still on the doorknob. Matt and I scurried, *baby steps*, down the steep and icy driveway to the road. The freshly fallen snow was light and fluffy in the sub-zero temperatures. It blew across the road like grains of flour. "This is gonna be a fun run", I thought sarcastically to myself. Running into a 15mph headwind at zero degrees, creates about a -15F windchill. I always thought that windchill was something wimpy people made up to make themselves sound more tough. Windchill is awful. I'll take a -30F (without wind) day over a -15F windchill any day.

We sloughed along through small snow drifts, while dodging cars along the roadway. Each car had a passenger that looked at us in disbelief, the question : "What are they doing out there in this cold?" written all over their faces. I'm sure we looked invincible, our eyes were the only thing visible to the elements and outside world. I was not invincible. Each step felt laboriously slow, as if I would fall to the ground after *one last step*. I didn't though. I kept going, even though the wind did everything in her power to try and push me backwards. Visions of myself running in shorts in California taunted me as I pushed across the icy landscape. Why didn't I wait to run until I got home?

When we reached our turn around spot, I ripped of my facemask and shot out two giant, marble snot-rockets. The tough part was over. On the return trip, the wind alternated from behind me to coming at me from the side. From the back, it blew so strongly that I drifted along like a kite, seemingly floating above the pavement rather than making contact with it. From the side, I thought someone was knocking me over. I looked down at my pace : 8:45/mi. How could I possibly be going that slow? It felt SO much faster and harder. The extra five pounds of clothing was starting to weigh on me, both physically and mentally. I kept telling myself that this was easy, but somehow my brain didn't buy it. We returned home drenched in sweat beneath the layers, with small icicles dangling from the nose holes of our facemasks. I've never been more happy to be finished with a run than I did on this one.

This evening, Hubby, Craig (Brother-in-law), and I are heading to Lansing to visit friends from college. Joel visited us last in Alaska this summer, so it's our turn.....just in time to convince us to come visit in California. Monday we fly home to California, so there will be a blogging hiatus until then. Enjoy your weekend and GO PACK GO!!! :)

No comments: