Monday, July 11, 2011

Alaska

Hubby and I have been frantically researching for our trip to Alaska. I didn't think that it would take this much effort, given that we've been to the area before. But coordinating with friends, trying to pack for a dual backpacking/city trip, and making sure that it all will be under that 50lb baggage allowance at the airport.

One major decision I keep going back and forth on is this :

Do I bring my DSLR camera, with it's added weight, chance of being damaged by rain or tumbling down a mountainside, but infinitely better photo possibilities?

OR

My trusty handheld that takes fair pictures, is smaller, and more durable?

What do you guys think?

5 comments:

Mary said...

Handheld!

Where are you going on your trip?

Danni said...

I'd probably bring the smaller one.

wajiw said...

It's a tough decision but for me it would come down to the hassle. I've got a special bag that hooks to the top of my backpacking bag and holds both my SLR and handhelds. That way they're accessible, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it at all. Alaska...not sure if I could keep the SLR at home =)

Vagabond said...

Smaller, definitely more fun having it handy and not having to worry about it.

Karen said...

Mary, We are going to be all over, but primarily within an hour or two of Anchorage.

I've never taken my SLR backpacking and am kind of afraid to. Maybe I'll bring both and leave the SLR with a friend when we go out on our backpack adventure. :) Thanks for the advice guys!