Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hatcher Pass, Alaska #7

By 7am, the midnight sun became strong enough to gently coax us awake. Sunshine? We ran outside to be sure that it wasn't just a patch of blue sky. Horray! We made a last-minute decision to rent a car. "We'll pick you up!" Rented from Enterprise.

Matt and I searched for a replacement camera, but what is typical during Alaska summers is a rush on camera sales. Too many bonehead tourists dropping their cameras in silty glacier rivers, I guess. I wanted an exact replacement on the one I had drowned, but since it totally rocks for size, lens power, and price, it was the only camera sold out at all three stores we tried. We gave up the search, bought lunch and headed for the Talkeetna Mountains.

I love Fireweed.

Atop 3,800 ft. Hatcher Pass, clouds began to form and lower. Fog formed within the first few minutes of our hike. Did I really waste all the sunshine looking for a camera? Grr! We chose the April Bowl Trail that climbed up to Bald Ridge. The pass was perfectly windless, unusual for mountain passes and this one in particular.

Independence Mine, Hatcher Pass, Palmer.

Summit Lake atop Hatcher Pass.

April Bowl Trail with small kettle lakes.

We climbed through the fog to sunny skies above. As the fog rolled by below us, mountains and lakes in the valley were revealed. My heart leaped for joy. Views like this, although not typical, are why I love Alaska. (These moments make suffering through winter worth it.) This is why I didn't choose to stay in Cali for a backpack trip! Matt kept talking about moving back here when he got the chance. there's no point in deciding now, since there are no openings, but don't be surprised if we will go for a position back here within five years or so. :)

The perfect alpine landscape was covered in kettle lakes, lush green mountainsides, and the faint red tint of the upcoming autumn.





Matanuska River Valley








We had lunch at the highest point on the ridge. The sun came out. Off in the distance, we saw Palmer, the Matanuska River, the Little Susitna River, and the entire river valley area. Clouds were still around, but we were under a sunshine spotlight!

These sandwiches were the best!













Our next stop was to the Independence Mine, a historical site consisting of old machinery and buildings. It's amazing how quickly towns sprung up in these remote places. Overnight towns. The town included a school for children of the married miners. They made a special request for a male teacher because a female one with all the single male miners might cause problems. Haha!

Independence Mine





Pika.


The bunkhouses and entire mining operation was halfway up a mountain. Shafts from the summits and tunnels through the side, 25 miles of tunneling rendered two mountains virtually hollow in the center. Don't hike up there in an earthquake! My hometown in Michigan has miles of mining tunnels beneath it. Mining ceased before WWII and tunnels flooded. The land above these areas has begun to collapse into very deep sink holes. How long until the mountain here begins to collapse?

We cooked a delicious salmon dinner on the grill with garlic potatoes and a nice green salad from Becki's garden. So yummy! Becki's salmon marinade is so yummy! I need her recipe!



4 comments:

Danni said...

Sounds like you're having a blast! I can see why one would want to live up there. Winters don't seem *too* bad either.

bobbi said...

Catching up - what an amazing trip you've had! I would LOVE to see it the way you are seeing it. Beautiful...

Lindsay said...

Good Lord, I just spent way too much time (b/c I'm at work, whoops!) reading through your blog, including your older one that you kept while undergoing chemo treatments. I'm a blubbering mess! You're a tough cookie - look how far you've come! I've been cranking up my running miles for a race at the end of this month, and while others who do crazier things than me are your inspiration - YOU are my inspiration. :)

Anonymous said...

The shots of Independence Mine are so picturesque - can't imagine what it's like to see it for yourself!

Also, rootbeer and rootbeer schnapps? I'm so intrigued!!