Just a few fun things to note that I didn't mention somewhere else in my June posts:
1. June was a record-breaking month. I ran 155.65 miles. (April 2011 was my previous at 144.) This was despite the "off-season" feel where I completely disregarded pace and just switched to trail running for fun. Also, even with changing from a 4-5 day/week plan to 3-4 days/wk to keep a rest day between my runs and help my IT band heal in between.
2. After years of running shoe stores telling me that the motion control shoe was too much shoe for someone my size, I finally gave in when I retired one pair last month. I got a fitting and reluctantly went with the shoes I was recommended : Brooks Ghost, a neutral shoe with moderate cushion. When leaving the store with my new shoes, I really did feel like I had just thrown away $100, but what I had been doing wasn't totally working, so why the heck not? I ran in them on our vacation in Monterey and in Petaluma and they felt great, but back on the slanted roads, who knows. The jury is still out whether they make any difference, I've gotta test them on long runs before they get the stamp of approval. One thing I never considered finally dawned on me : Those slanted roads? Maybe there is no perfect shoe for me to deal with it. I can't get rid of the roads (the trails are even more slanted), so maybe I just need lots of ice baths and love to my roller to keep things happy.
3. My new secret BFF : the ice bath. I squeal like a little girl when I first get in. Zoey comes running, her little jingly collar echoing through the house. She nudges open the bathroom door and parks herself next to the tub. I continue to wail. Genuinely worried about me, her wild eyes widen. Here's a photo:
5 comments:
I adore that picture! I do not usually keep my shirt on for ice baths - I've tried, but it just annoys me more when the bottom of it gets all wet and cold...
I held off on ice baths forever and ever, but then I tried them... and it was miraculous. MIRACULOUS!
And I'm jealous of your mileage!
Brrr. I honestly don't think I could do it.
I heard the tricks to the ice bath is go in first THEN put on the ice. Makes it much easier to enter the tub that way (no shrieking!).
And I'm jealous of your mileage too!
I know that ice baths would be good for me - but I just can't bring myself to do it!
Did you live in Fairbanks (for some reason I thought Anchorage, but really, I know nothing)? There is a potential job opening at UAF next year and I am curious about the town. In theory, it sounds great, but I don't know about the -40 deg temps. And if it would be a good place for a single lady hoping not to be single for the rest of her life.
Post a Comment