We drove back across the Kenai for our backpacking dropoff point. Becki had such good luck fishing overnight that she decided to keep on fishing. The cloudless day prompted us to split up for a few days.
and live here forever and be happy. I'd probably wear a mosquito net six months of the year, but I'd be happy.
By 2pm, Matt and I were on the trail. It climbed quickly, but my legs never got heavy with fatigue (thanks trail running!). Matt began to talk about moving back. Usually it's me. I've finally settled into Eureka and realized that I can be happy anywhere, it doesn't HAVE TO be Alaska for me to be happy. "You know, coming back to visit after less than a year probably means we shouldn't have left," Matt commented. "Well, how about we come back to visit in January before we make a final decision?" I replied. "True. What does it say if I don't even want to visit in January?"
As we climbed to the top of Crow Pass, a blue-green lake emerged. It was absolutely stunning in the sunshine. Mountains all around. "This is beautiful! I'm in love all over again", I said to Matt, "Sure we can move, but let's try Anchorage this time."

Another couple leapfrogged with us on the trail. Decked out in flashy orange Five Fingers, a brand new pack, and designer sunglasses (that I swear were for women) the guy rushed ahead at his own pace, leaving his friend behind. He turned around, threw his hands on his hips and waited impatiently for her to catch up. Then within seconds, he'd leave her again. Several times she shouted back for him to wait up, but he didn't. Matt usually doesn't butt in and say things but he was about to give the guy a mouthful. What a crappy hiking buddy he is.
We were advised that the top of the pass, only 3.5 mi in, had the best camping spots. So we stopped for the night. We set up camp and explored a little more. We had dinner overlooking Raven Glacier. Our tent had a stunning view. As the evening sun ducked behind the mountains, we retreated to the tent for some reading before bed. Probably will be asleep by 9, and up at 6.

3 comments:
This place is GORGEOUS. But I would die in a place that had such long winters. I like (love!) my summers. And I like an ocean I can swim in...
Wow--how beautiful is that! I can't do Alaska anymore either, but I sure would like to visit again.
Your "hungry ladies eat like this" picture is hilarious, haha!
Post a Comment