Monday, July 18, 2011

Eight Streams 25

"Which way do we go to make a loop?" a pair of hikers asked Matt and I as we waited for Alex to return from the porta-potty. We pulled out our map, my sweat beads dripping all over while I unfolded it. Afraid the hikers would be offended by all the moisture, I handed Matt the map. "Wow, this is cool. Where'd you get it?," they asked, examining our really cool topo map with all the unadvertised trails on it. "Bought it in town, $7.00," he replied, "but we're out here all the time so it's a good thing to have." Realizing it wasn't a free map, they suddenly lost interest. "Oh, you're locals then?" Matt and I seem to get this a lot. In Alaska, people in Denali Park were always amazed that we lived somewhat nearby. Here in Humboldt Redwoods Park, they hear we're from the area and we are asked if we go to the nearby university, Humboldt State. Tourists.



As we cruised along the Bull Creek trail, weaving between the giants, sweat poured from everywhere. It sure is humid down here. After five miles, we turned and went uphill, halfway to Grasshopper Peak, climbing to about 1,500ft on a fire service road. Actually looking at the elevations in choosing the run, I knew that there was one more big hill later on. No problem. We cruised back down on a single-track Baxter trail, chatting about our training styles. The conclusion that we came to is that there really is no one way to train well for everyone. Alex is full of running quote gems:
"Fitness breeds speed." Just get fitter and you'll get faster. My trail running summers have knocked off major time in my road marathons in the past.
"If you don't like intervals, there's probably a reason. It just may not work for you." I'm more of a tempo run gal myself. Intervals are too repetitive. If I wanted to bore myself to death, I'd run on a treadmill.

The three of us gingerly crossed a stream, rock to rock, trying not to get our shoes wet. By mile nine, we had crossed two streams, most likely the very same stream twice.
This photo

Then it was time for the 0.8mi section on Mattole Road, the only traffic road on the park. Pavement made my feet ache in funny places, but it was nice to run quickly on the firm surface. We looked up at all the ridge lines to the south. We recognized some of the highest spots and I smiled, reminding myself that I had made it to the top of each of those. Nearing mile 10, we returned to another trail, Pole Line Rd.

Having running buddies stronger than myself, it is really great for pushing me. On a hill I would have normally walked a little bit, they cheered, "just to the top of this spot here!" "Just to the tree!"

Highest point in the run.

Before I knew it, we had climbed another 2,000 ft and were at the highest point in our run. As I announced that to the boys, Alex said that he could do the run with both legs tied behind his back. He mentioned that he'd bring hand cuffs and chains for our next long run. That left the conversation wiiiiiide open for many S & M jokes relating to running. All of it was inappropriate, so I won't say anymore. Haha. We cruised down a single-track to Cuneo Horse Camp. We crossed two more streams on the way down and I decided to plunge right in.

Ahhhh so wonderful!

The cool water felt good on my feet. I didn't realize how achy they were until the achy feeling disappeared for a bit. Water squished out of my shoes with each step. The droplets flew from my shoes, rolled into the dust ahead of me on the trail and formed small balls of mud. Really cool.

"How come there are moist spots in this dusty trail?" Alex asked from the back of our runner line. "I don't know, it's so weird," Matt replied, our middle person. I was out front, "What are you guys talking about? It's not wet up here!"

As we drew nearer to Cuneo Camp, the amount of horse poop on the trail increased. How come people can ride horses in this park, but you can't bring your dog?? Seriously. The horse crap was in huuuge piles, right in the middle of the trail. Shouldn't they have to clean that up?

We checked the map when we got to Cuneo Camp, to locate our next turn. One of the horse riders came up to us. "Looking for something?" "We're just finding the Homestead Trail." "Oh, you're real close, just follow the paved road out of the park and it's right there." As we ran away, Matt realized that he recognized the woman helping us. She works in the same building (different company) as he does. See, locals use the parks too!!

Bull Creek. In all, I think we crossed her five times.

Nannette, the horse rider who pointed us to the trail, mentioned several stream crossings between us and our car, almost 10 miles away. "You guys look like you've been through a few streams already today," she said, glancing at our dirty legs, "You look so hardcore." That gave us some extra momentum to our speed. By mile 20, we reached the Albee Campground. Just four more easy miles. The gel I had near the horse camp had finally worked. I had wings. Both Matt and Alex commented on how energetic I seemed. And I was in a way better mood. Funny how easy it seems when I pull about half of the elevation from our run, huh?

We came across those same day-hikers about halfway back on the Bull Creek trail. Looks like our directions worked out after all. We chatted happily as the remaining miles flew by. Even though I am always sore and have low points on each long run, I can feel them getting a little bit faster and easier each time. Just wait until I hit the roads again full time. Something awesome is gonna come out. This type of trail running is pretty much just speed work and intervals in disguise.

24.75 miles
4:44.49
11:25/mi pace
Stream crossings : 8
6,000 ft elevation change
Blisters : ZERO!
Wrinkled toes: 10


We chose a less hilly route this week for our 24 miler (which ended up being 25) for a few reasons :
- Less time out. We had a BBQ to get to after the run and even starting at 9am, we just made it before people took off.
- Less recovery time. With the Alaska trip just days away, it was important to go a little easier on the elevation.
- Just eight days between our previous long run, a 22, and this one. Don't want to get hurt.
- I can't take two consecutive days off before we go, and I need another 10+ before we go.

We made it back for the BBQ. It was so nice to have a burger and eat food that I didn't have to prepare. We brought some homemade blueberry muffins, but it was nice to have other things that we didn't cook. Everything tastes delicious after a really long day. YUM! Can they have another BBQ in three weeks when I go for my last long run before Sequoia?

2 comments:

bobbi said...

Catching up (or trying to!) - you have had some amazing runs lately! Loving all your pictures...

I totally hear you on running with stronger runners - it is the best way I've found to improve.

It's always fun to me to read younger runners' experiences. It makes me REALLY wish I'd have been dedicated when I was young...

Danni said...

Nice work! Great pictures too.