Saturday, September 29, 2012

How Not to Run Mile Repeats



Since it is football season and all those darn college teams use their stadiums for practice, Matt and I have abandoned our favorite track and taken to the roads for our speed training.  We carefully choose quiet roads that are as flat as we can find.  This week’s choice was pretty disastrous.

Here’s what not to do:

1.       Run at lunchtime so a group of power company work trucks return from lunch in the middle of your second repeat.  It invites all kinds of stares, catcalls, and a general sense of feeling like you’re constantly in the way.

2.       Use the Garmin to find your distance, and then use tree branches and twigs to mark your half mile turnaround.  Then you return halfway, surprised when they have blown away in the wind with every. single. repeat.  and your mile splits include distances like 0.8mi, 1.13 mi, and 1.00 mi.

3.       Run them without a goal time.  For me, that pretty much guarantees my first one will be fastest and I subsequently slow down with each one.  
(warm up mile, [mile repeat and 0.50 mi recovery in between]x3, cool down mile)

But with the very loose goal of priming myself for next week’s tempo run (at a 7:30/mi pace), I just wanted to be faster than that pace for each mile…..so mission accomplished, I guess? 

2 comments:

Scott said...

Although an outsider to the running world, I would say, yes. Mission accomplished. You're out there conscientiously training, analyzing, thinking.

Jill said...

Hahah. Well, at least you got in some speedwork!! :)