Monday, September 24, 2012

Wrecked Travel Day



By Sunday morning, my body was waving the surrender flag.  Although my allergy symptoms were completely erased in the arid desert climate, I was now suffering from being too dry. My sinuses went into over-drive and it my nose ran constantly.  We had a pretty low-key day that I enjoyed from the back seat of the car.  Trying to recall what else happened is difficult.  It is all a hazy blur now.



Early Monday, I finally got the rest day I was craving.  For most of the Amtrak train ride from Flagstaff to Albuquerque, I got about six naps.  I awoke for some leftover pizza, water, and little else.  I wish I could have seen more of the landscape as we zoomed across the desert, but this day was exactly what I needed.   



I find that visiting high altitude places stresses my body cumulatively.  It never recovers much until I return to zero feet.  Basically, it feels like doing all activities in the same day.  But I love the challenges it presents at the same time.  For example, it requires about ten zillion glasses of water.  Every morning I awake with a hangover-like headache.  It takes a gallon of water to get it to go away.  Putting water in doesn’t pose a problem, but finding a place to pee while sightseeing is a bit dicey. Haha.

When we arrived in Santa Fe, both Matt and I were rested enough that we craved a run.  We went out with Chris along the Rail Trail path we spotted from the train from Albuquerque.  It was interesting how Chris’s acclimation to the 7,500 ft. city leveled our endurance to his.  We were gasping for air in the same way as he did even though we have much more solid endurance base.  It would be awesome to spend a few months training there and then run a sea-level 5K. 

My lungs and throat burned in protest.  My head pounded a throbbing rhythm.  We stopped at a stoplight near the end of the run and a rush of blood flooded my head.  It came on like an intense ice cream headache.  We took a long cool-down to avoid further head rush.   

It felt more like a 7:48/mi pace. 

3 comments:

Scott said...

I've always been intrigued by the southwest. Ed Abbey. Georgia O'Keefe. Wild landscape. Your photos heighten my interest. Plus you guys looks so happy!

bobbi said...

I hear so many people describe what it's like to work out at high altitude, but I've never experienced it. It sounds really tough! Beautiful pictures, as always...

Katie said...

I've been to Colorado once, for two weeks, and ran the whole time. The first week was just awful, but I was in college at the time and seemed to adapt fast. When I went home my father, brother, and I hike Mt. Washington (in NH). When we were about a mile from the summit, I just started jogging, and left my poor family in the dust. And ever since they have absolutely refused to hike with me. I am sure running at high altitude made a huge difference in my aerobic fitness (at least briefly). Very pretty pictures BTW!