Friday, September 07, 2012

Mental Barrier and MRP #6

Eventually these race pace runs will slow down. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. I think that since last week was my first speed work day, they will slow down to the actual MRP as I add in more tougher workouts and my long runs grow even longer.


Matt keeps asking me if it is a sign I should go for a faster goal. Since my PR marathon is 15 minutes slower than my goal, I can't help but feel like I should be conservative in my goals. I trained hard this spring, harder than I ever have before.

I feel like at this point in my training, I should be as beat up as I was at the same point as last time. But I'm not. My MRP route has six turns in the first 1.5 miles (and last since it is out-n-back). I dive under low hanging trees, over high curbs and over debris in the sidewalk. I dodge walkers, trash cans, and cars. How I can manage this pace on a veritable obstacle course baffles me. I love that it isn't easy.

While Matt thinks it is my fitness making the difference, I think it is something else: my attitude. Mentally, I don't psych myself out on the hard runs. I spend the day repeating positive phrases in my head. "You've got this pace. Just go out and do it." I figure, even if I fall short a few times, it isn't a big deal. Getting rid of my own mental barriers (which for me is anything below an 8:00/mi, my current MRP goal) has helped me run with my heart and not my head. I no longer see the current pace with a 7:xx in front of it and immediately think "slow down".  It's more like, "Cool!  No wonder I feel so alive!"

That makes all the difference.

Speed workout this week will be on Sunday at the Blue Lake 5K. I hope to finally break that 23 minute barrier. My current PR is 23:00 precisely. The course is flat and my speed has been going well so far, so we shall see.


Have you ever adjusted to faster goals in the middle of a training cycle?  How did it turn out?

I've only adjusted mine to slower goals, but I'm perfectly content with the goal I have now and feel no need to change.


4 comments:

Scott said...

"Cool,no wonder I feel so alive". Love your attitude. Keep running with your heart. Have fun at Blue Lake.

Amanda @flecksofgreen said...

Yes, I have adjusted during training. Sometimes I'll end up over doing it but then my body adjusts.

Mary said...

How exciting. I would say, go for your goal and if you exceed it, bonus.

Anonymous said...

I think you and Matthew are both right, but with the source of both being your consistency.