Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tesuque Peak



As we drove higher up the mountain, Matt and Chris complained of their popping ears.  Mine didn’t pop.  Due to my cold, only sinus pressure built.  When we reached the parking lot at 10,027 ft., I thought my head was going to explode.  I had several mini tissue packets stuffed into the front pockets of my backpack and a few in my hiking shorts.  Still perpetually blowing my nose, we ascended the trail, a gravel service road up to communication towers just below the Santa Fe Ski Basin.  

I enjoyed the cool air this high up.  New Mexico’s height and dry air is much more pleasant at 50F than at 85F.



Trees grew densely in this cooler micro-climate.  Aspen grew along the damp hillside.  Winter is only a few weeks away up here.  Already mid-September, the aspen leaves glowed golden yellow.  My heart leapt with excitement.  I get to experience a little fall color after all!  The only fall color I experience at home is the deep purple of blueberry leaves before they fall dormant for the winter.  I miss entire hillside forests of fall.  The bright forest gave way to pine and then we broke above treeline.

The hike’s summit at 11,300 ft. set a new altitude record for me.  Views down the mountain afforded hazy skies over the dry, adobe buildings of Santa Fe.  Unlike Phoenix, Santa Fe appeared to adapt to the drier climate and not waste as much water on foliage that nature couldn’t support alone.  Nobody had green lawns down below.  We could even see Los Alamos, perched atop her distant mesa some 50 miles west.


The hike was just easy enough that Matt thought he may be acclimating to the height.  I just figured we were going slow enough that it was tolerable.  I enjoyed hiking in a new place with Chris.  He had never been up this trail either, so it was new for all of us.  I never really understand how alike my brother and I are until we spend time together.  Even his girlfriend mentioned that I’m “the girl version of Chris”.  I also have proof that my weirdness is genetic.  Crap. Haha. 
haha.

Someone else shares my love of shadows.

We explored a lot of the downtown Santa Fe tourist stuff before settling down for dinner that night.  We had dinner with Isaiah’s sister, Hannah, who also happens to live there too.

Guys, I really love my little bro.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Good energy. Great yellows and golds. I like the shot of the Aspen grove. They have great bark. Honesty is always refreshing, your thoughts on your relationship with your brother is cool.

Mary said...

Love the aspens!!

Jill said...

Sante Fe is a beautiful place. My MIL lives in Albuquerque so we've visited that area a lot.

The aspens are a little more golden here in Colorado's mountains, but we're a bit higher and colder.

What a great adventure you're on! :)