Monday, September 03, 2012

Travel Routes



When Matt and I travel, we use a lot of different techniques for finding somewhere to run.  We often find ourselves in towns we have never visited before, so most of this searching is done online. 
Typically, we start by searching for bike paths or rail trails.

If nothing is there, we search for local marathons or races of the length we want to run.  This is especially helpful for long runs so we don’t have to deal with too much traffic our out-and-backs.  This is how we found a long run route in Santa Rosa, using their marathon course.

If nothing is found there, we use the USATF website and (www.usatf.org/routes/) and search for nearby routes.  The routes are usually to and from a local’s house, but usually include the roads with best sidewalks or light traffic.  

When all else fails, we hit up Google maps.  Turn it to the satellite view and try to find a bike path or sidewalk.  In many places, they are surprisingly easy to find.  Look for unnatural configurations of trees or along rivers.  This is an example of how we found one in Rohnert Park.
“It’s either a river or a bike path,” Matt said, “Let’s go find out.”
We couldn’t find this path on any website, and after a few minutes on our run, we realized why.  It was no longer maintained.  It was still useable, but I wouldn’t have felt completely safe as a female runner going alone.  Use your own judgment when exploring new areas.  If it makes the hair on your neck stand up, turn around.  And don’t bring music in unfamiliar areas. You need all your wits about you.  If you need music to run, stick with the hotel treadmill.

So on the final day of our vacation, we found ourselves outfitted in our new purchases and hitting the trail that might be a river.  The trees obscured much of our “path” so we weren’t sure what we’d find.  We covered three miles on a quiet trail, encountering the remains of a homeless camp behind the Lowe’s and several couples walking their dogs.  Just as the trail turned into a nicer, maintained section through a safer area (residential vs. industrial), we headed back.  The Nike Frees felt so lightweight under my feet.  Suddenly, it wasn’t my feet weighing me down, it felt like it was my shoulders.  That makes no sense, but it is the only way I can think of describing it.  The only thing I didn’t like was the amount of rocks that got stuck in the cracks in my shoes.  These will have to be used exclusively on roads.

Matt said that I looked hardcore and fast in this outfit.  I think I look ridiculous.  I don’t think the calf sleeves will be used while I’m running as I didn’t notice any benefit to them.
For trail running, I search for local parks and trail races.

How do you find a place to run while traveling?

1 comment:

Scott said...

I run no where near as often or as far as you guys. I've had rotator cuff issues. I think I can relate to the shoulders "weighing" you down. A guy told me ,while I was classic XC skiing with him, my posture was bad. I needed to keep my head up. Look down the trail. Loosen up. Don't fight the topography.Use gravity. Forward. Forward. Forward. I've had good results with it running too.