Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Matt's Marathon Day


I stood alone on the bridge; a swift wind blowing down the river valley cooled me off as I waited.  I cheered for the runners as they came in.  Then finally, MY runner came.  I caught two blurry photos of him and then jumped in beside him. 

 “Run fast with me!  I’m not supposed to keep up with you!  Let’s go!”  We ran across the bridge and then I said I’d meet him at the finish.  I had no idea how close he was to his goal.  

Matt was at the oranges table when I spotted him.  He held out his wristwatch (he runs on feel, not on a Garmin, he’s just that awesome). 
  
3:01.45
a new PR, 
a re-BQ, 
1st place in his age group, 
and good enough for sixth place overall.  
 This was also the first marathon where he wasn’t chicked.   

Not a sub-3:00, but it was still unbelievable.  This is the time it takes some people to run a HALF and the pace I go for when I run 800s, not an entire marathon!

Other club members came up to congratulate him on his performance.  They may have scoffed at his idea for a redo marathon this close his finish at Boston, thinking he was a headstrong kid and would do poorly.  But with his quiet confidence and humble nature, he showed them!!  One even said, “You make [our] club proud!”  

 Matt, you make everyone who knows you proud!

6 comments:

Mary said...

That's just awesome.

giraffy said...

That's amazing. Congrats to him on the PR!

bobbi said...

ok, I may or may not have teared up a little at the end of this :)

Congrats to Matt! Well done!

Katie said...

Holy cow, that's crazy! I can't believe he was able to run another so close to Boston! That sub-3 is just a matter of time...

Cinthia said...

Yay, Matt! That is awesome, especially after Boston. (Plus this race looks much nicer and more relaxed. Must have been nice to run with less people and more trees, eh?)

XLMIC said...

Huge congrats to Matt :)