Sand Point Lighthouse, Escanaba
I picked up the camping permit and continued on to the
meeting spot, driving H-58 to Grand Marais.
Armed with the regional snacks of my childhood (Dill Pickle chips, I
loooove you!), I leisurely made my way there.
I stopped at a deserted campground for the facilities. A car pulled up while I was inside. After just two minutes there, I emerged to
see two naked teens “wrestling” on the back seat. They parked right next to me so it was hard
to not notice what was going on. I was
only there for a few minutes and found myself wondering, “how did they get
undressed so fast?”. It didn’t bother me
what they were doing. So weird. They didn’t notice me get in my car and drive
away.
I stopped a few other places to get a preview of the
trail. I think it’ll be easy enough that
I’ll want to run it instead. If only my
hiking buddy were a runner. I think the
trail as it is might stretch his abilities, he’s kinda just jumping into it
without any experience/training at all.
He’s not a regular exerciser either.
I admire people that do things like that: jump into a multi-day activity
on guts alone.
Speaking of my buddy, Tyler and I are basically
acquaintances, although there are at least five ways we know each other. The U.P. is a tiny place. Basically, he’s the friend of my college
roommate, Amber; I often rode back home from college with his sister, Danielle;
he is good friends with several of the people I know from the U.P. music
community; he and I took the same major and had a lot of the same classmates
and professors, etc. etc. Hubby didn’t
like the idea of being replaced, by anyone, male or female, and he found it odd
that I would go on a trip without him because his desire for backpack trips is
usually met by my stubborn resistance, “can’t we just go trail running
instead?”.
Lake Superior beach.
With Matt’s and Tyler’s fiancee’s blessing, I had a pack
buddy. Don’t worry Matt, I just realized
how heavy my pack is without you carrying all the dense things, I’ll really
need you back soon!!
Nearing our rendez-vous point, I smelled a faint and
familiar scent. First like leaves, then
burned popcorn, and then I finally placed it as my brain registered the scent:
wildfire. There’s a fire burning about
60 miles southwest of here in the Seney National Wildlife Refuge and the brisk
southwest wind carried the cloud of smoke over the Grand
Sable Lake. Just one hour of exposure and I had that same
intense headache I used to get when the Fairbanks
summers were too dry and we were suddenly surrounded by wildfires and smoke
clouds. Please let the wind shift.
I really enjoyed having the time to myself to sort out my
training ideas. As much as I’d love a
do-over race, to really test myself, I think I am going to pass on it. Nothing really works well logistically and it
would come down to an entirely supplemental vacation, something to the tune of
$800, and I have better ways to spend that than another road marathon. But the biggest thing that got me was I’d
have to abandon all my original plans for the remaining time here. I don’t spend much time each year in the U.P.
and I really would love to run myself ragged in exploration than hang out in
the house tapering. I want to explore
and worry about dealing with the fatigue when I get back home. So that’s exactly what I’m gonna do.
Adventure #1 begins tomorrow as I backpack the 44 mile
Pictured Rocks portion of the North Country trail. This will be my longest backpack trip ever
and broken up into segments of 12,16,16 daily miles. And those two
sixteen mile days will be a new backpacking distance PR (but a lot
flatter terrain that I have ever done, so it should be okay).
I’m hoping that the fatigue from the Green Bay Marathon will
start me worn out enough that I don’t completely kill my hiking buddy.
1 comment:
Part of me wishes you could stay a little longer and do Grandma's, but I so understand where you are at. ENJOY your backpacking adventures!
Post a Comment