Saturday, May 12, 2012

Last Long Run Before Green Bay!!

Do you know how often the sunshine greets me in the morning when I get up?  Practically never.  The last two days have been absolutely gorgeous.  Usually sunny days are accompanied by 30-40mph north winds, but not these.  Perfectly calm days.  I forgot what it felt like to run in perfect weather.  It feels really nice.

I set out on my final long run before Green Bay this morning at about 8am.  Typically a lunchtime runner, I was up early enough to catch my 80 year old neighbor out for his morning walk.  "Getting an early run in today, hey?" he asked.  Even he noticed that this was not normal for me.  I laughed a little as I ran off.

Birds sang their morning song.  People walked dogs in pajama pants, while they clutched either a coffee cup or a joint in their hand as they strolled along leisurely.  I have never lived in a place quite like this, and it is fun to notice the subtle quirks of the local culture. 

My old iPod shuffle came along for the trip and I listened to a cluster of songs that I hadn't heard in quite awhile.  It was refreshing to hear different musicians.  I'm one of those people that has such a rich interest in music that I can appreciate just about everything in the right dose.  This run, I was really into Les Nubians, a weird French hip-hop/jazzy fusion group.  I also listened to the Rent soundtrack, bits of Les Cowboys Fringants, Black Eyed Peas, George Winston, and Dixie Chicks.  How's that for enjoying everything?

I just let my body set the pace and I ignored the watch entirely.  I got my halfway splits, and man, they were consistent.  That's how I can tell I went easy enough: when my splits are really really close.  If it gets too fast or too slow and they are hugely variable.

First 4 miles: 34:34, 8:38/mi
Second 4 miles: 34:42, 8:40/mi.
Total 8 miles: 1:09.18, 8:39/mi.

Eight days until the Green Bay Marathon!

Do you listen to music when you're running?
I don't often on the road, so it is always a special treat.  I never trail run with it.  To me, the whole point of trail running is to connect with the natural world, not block it out.  I usually run the last 10 or so miles of a marathon with it, though.  Small marathons are pretty lonely when the half marathoners split from our course.

1 comment:

Ewa said...

I love morning runs. Cooler temps, birds signing, and if I get out of the house early enough, the whole world belongs just to me.
Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes to podcasts, sometimes just to my silly thoughts.