It was one of those days that seemed perfect in every
way. The sun was shining, the wind was
just strong enough to dry my sweat; and for the first time in 2012, I was
wearing my tank top on the Coastal Trail.
Matt ran the first couple of miles with me, but on his still-stiff
marathon legs, he was hurting a bit. He
stopped to stretch and I kept going.
Getting dressed before the run, I couldn’t decide which run
I wanted to do: my 5mi MRP run or my 8 mi long run. I set off at the MRP pace and decided I could
slow it and go long if I decided later.
After just half a mile, I knew what I wanted: MRP. The sun was perfect. The wind? Perfect.
I found myself holding back to hit the right pace.
Mi 2 and 4 are a messy dirt trail, so the effort was about even, I'd say.
Admittedly, I ran it a little on the quick
side because I wanted to save some for the last hill to my house: 150 feet in
the last ½ mi. This hill has defeated me every single time I run on it, simply
because of where it is placed. Always
reduced to a walk, I avoid this route for my MRP runs in favor of one that is
hillier overall but isn’t uphill at the end.
The final mile of this perfect run was great. For the first time, I beat the hill. And that final mile was just a few seconds
off the target.
My town is pretty from the satellite view, isn't it?
As Matt and I sat on the porch sipping water as we
stretched, he said, “I don’t think you’ve ever been as prepared for a marathon
as you are for this one. I think that
you’re going to nail whatever goal you set out.” Hopefully he’s right.
Marathon #7 in nine days!
Will lucky #7 bring me a BQ? I
can’t wait to find out!



2 comments:
So excited to watch you put this awesome training plan you've worked so well into action!
Yay for perfect runs :)
I am SO EXCITED for you! Matt's totally right - your training has been spot on...you are going to nail this marathon!
Post a Comment