Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Marathon Goals


Depending on the day, I’ll be confident of reaching my goal times, others, I feel like adjusting them slower is the way to go.  After poring over data and consulting with my coach (Hubby!), I’ve come up with my goals.  

I used to be someone that made soft goals that I knew I could achieve just so I never had to fall short.  But last fall’s Two Cities Marathon taught me that if I don’t go for something tough, I’ll never really know what I am capable of accomplishing.  And even if I end up a little slower than my #1 goal, it still lands me in a really happy place.  A year ago, if you would have told me what my current marathon PR would be, I would have laughed at you.  I hope to have a finish time in the mid-3:30s.  Whether it will rest just above or below the Boston Qualifying time of 3:35, I am not sure.

Here are my goals:

3. 3:45.15.  With just one second to spare, it will get me a PR.

2. 3:39. 

1. 3:34.59.  BQ.  This is still probably a perfect day scenario, but definitely possible if all things go perfectly.

So I plan on going out at that Boston Qualifying pace of 8:12/mi, the same one I have been running in all of my MRP runs.  I fear that success will hinge on how I do with jet lag and the weather.  I can usually tell what the day will be like within the first two or three miles.  If fast isn’t in the cards for me, I can still adjust after 5-10 mi. and not completely wreck myself (and my finish time) for the last 10K.  

I’m not one to agonize over the forecast and I’ve actually had to hide the marathon’s Facebook page from my wall because they are freaking out over the 10-day forecast (which Hubby tells me is wildly inaccurate that far out, especially since that forecast comes from the Weather Channel).  That said, it is predicted to be about 60F at the start, and rise to 78F by 2-3pm.  So basically, it could be in the 60-70F range for most of my race.  I’d prefer it to be cooler, but I think with the lower humidity of Wisconsin (40-60% compared to 90%+ it is here), I’ll be okay with it even though it is a bit warmer than I’m used to here on the coast.

Five days until Green Bay!

6 comments:

bobbi said...

I HAVE been stalking to weather (running a half with my sis that day) and I can tell you that it has changed dramatically every time I check. So I guess, we'll get what we get. Oh, and I adore your husband :)

I'm pulling for you!!! I think a BQ is in your cards, and I hope you have an AMAZING day!

Mary said...

Oh that is hot. But I know you have the ability. Have a great race.

Katie said...

My goals are usually a stretch. Not because I think I'm awesome, but honestly, if you're able to meet your goals all the time, it seems like maybe you're not setting them high enough. Anyway, I hope you wake up feeling awesome, and have a great day!

Teamarcia said...

Call me what you will but I have a gut feeling that BQ is in the cards for you. I love that your hubby is a weatherman--how cool is that?

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I definitely get crazy about the weather - but it's true that 10 days out it can't be that accurate!
I think several goals is best, so you can have something to stretch for but you won't every be too disappointed.

Jill said...

You have GOT to try for that BQ, you have no choice but to at least try so you'll at least know. I think you got it, too! Hoping for great weather and perfect race conditions for you!!!