The only thing that kept me going was knowing
that I got to taper after Garmin showed the magic 20.00mi. Weak and sluggish, the first 10 miles were
the hardest. At a pretty solid effort, I
came to mile 10 and the turnaround with a 9:02/mi.
As soon as I turned around, I noticed that with the same
effort, I was pulling off 8:10/mi. That was encouraging. The pace would even out by the time I was
through. With two fabulous caffeinated
jet blackberry GU packets in my tummy, I finally had energy for the first time
around mile 15. Matt parked his bike and
set off for a 5 mile (with the tailwind the whole way, lucky guy!) tempo run
back to the car to wait for me. I
watched him pull away slowly.
I passed a lemonade stand alongside the path. That would have been me as a little
girl. As I ran past them, I shouted
“Sorry ladies, I don’t have any money!”
They offered me a free cup, but I was already out of earshot when I
realized what they had said to me. Then
I hit the mile split: 8:15.
Hmmm, I think I want to finish this strong.
Wouldn’t that be awesome? A
perfect cap to my training.
It was hard,
but my last five miles were perhaps the most earned miles of my entire training
cycle:
8:15, 8:15,
8:07, 8:09, 7:55. Yeah!!
20 miles, 2:54,
8:44/mi. And my fastest 20 mile ever.
And the final mile was under 8:00/mi!! That has never happened before. Rock on.
Now for some rest, yeah?


2 comments:
You are so READY! Enjoy your taper - you've earned it!
(wind sucks. seriously.)
Great job, Karen! You really kicked the last half of your run. Hope my first 20-miler of my own marathon cycle goes as well. It won't be as fast, of course. But oh, to finally negative split!!
You are gonna rock Green Bay into the ground(while showing 'em what ex-Alaska women are made of, eh?).
Post a Comment