That said....
It has officially been one week since the Green Bay Marathon. In the first few days following the race, I was happy with the accomplishment I made. The weather was out of my control and I made the best with what was given to me. Finishing just over four hours, a time like that was my PR just a few years ago, I should feel like a complete rock star for that being the time I can get on a really bad day. Yet I don’t.
I feel more like I wasted five months of preparation. I was never given the chance to see what I
can really do. And that upsets me more
than I realized. So Tuesday afternoon, I
began shopping for a re-do marathon.
After several dead-end options, I’ve come to realize that I might just
have to let this one go, because the only real option at this point is going
home and running the local marathon’s course solo and seeing how I do. Without the race-day excitement and music, I
am pretty sure it won’t be 100%. I’ll
just have to take comfort in knowing that I won’t lose speed during this
off-period because I AM stronger and will likely have faster trail times. As long as I keep gaining fitness, the speed
will come back when I begin focused road training again. It is mostly a bummer because I didn’t have
anything go wrong, for the first time ever in training for a marathon.
So what I am going to do is to keep doing some faster things
during training for the SOB 50K (July).
Then when it comes to training for a fall marathon, I’m going to
continue on training for a faster yet race, as if I had made a new PR in Green
Bay. This
faster goal time will likely be 3:30.
I guess I’m just bummed.
1 comment:
You have every right to be disappointed. I felt just like this last fall. I considered a do-over and then let it go.
I know you KNOW it, but you did NOT waste that training. You ran a strong race in absolutely brutal condiditons. Here's hoping that you don't have to face that again any time soon.
They actually cancelled today's Madison marathon. This heat is insane. :(
Post a Comment