Tuesday, July 10, 2012

S.O.B. 50K Goals

This will likely be the toughest race I've ever attempted.  For the first time ever, I believe that my cozy year-round mild climate home will be a limiting factor.

1.  The entire course is 6,000-7,000 ft.  I live and train at the 0-1,000 ft. altitude range.

2.  There will be about 5,000 ft. of elevation gain as we seesaw back and forth several times at that high altitude (for a sea-level wimp like me anyway!)...which will officially be the hilliest course I've ever run.

3.  Race day will likely be toasty.  It hasn't broken 65F here in awhile....I do have some training in the U.P. and Wisconsin in the heat, but it was awhile ago.  It will be cooler up higher, but the winds will dictate how much.
 weather.gov forecast for Ashland, OR.
4.  I'm also still suffering from sinus issues related to the flu I had and I feel less than awesome.  I haven't smelled anything for nearly three weeks.  It is great when Hubby is gassy, but I'm pretty sure something is still going on up inside my head.  My final bit of race prep includes a doctor's appointment. 

So here are my goals:

1. Enjoy the views.  From course photos, it appears there will be some really great views of the southern Cascades.

2. Enjoy the junk food.  It has been slightly adapted from a steady diet of Snickers (don't want to melt all my calories into a sticky mess) to more granola bars and a bit of GU for my caffeinating pleasure.

3. Enjoy the company.  There will be several local runners running too.  Matt, Tanya, Michele, and I plan to at least start out together. 

4. Run something between the 6:45-7:30 range.  Faster or slower is cool with me too.  I'm actually surprised at how I little I am concerned with this aspect of the race.

Four days until ultramarathon #4!!

4 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Living in Georgia means that I'm definitely used to using running snacks that won't melt! Only 4 days away? Good luck!

Mary said...

I love sharkies. I think you have the right attitude. Enjoy and can't wait to hear about it.

MegG said...

Those are great goals, ultramarathon #4 will not be the last, and every single one is different. Relish in the opportunity to be out there doing it. You're going to concur that course!

Jill said...

When I did my 50k last spring (you know, the one that they called off mid-race due to heat - in MARCH!), I wasn't really concerned about it either. Which was stupid because I was the most out of shape ever. Oh well. Anyway, you're going to have a fantastic race! Any race you get to eat Snickers guilt-free is a great race in my books :). Have a blast, girl!! Will be thinking of you out there!