Our morning
started out in the most unfortunate way: with oatmeal. No matter how many health benefits it claims,
I can’t bring myself to enjoy it. It is
palatable if I eat the super sugary kind because then it at least doesn’t look
AND taste like oatmeal. It tastes like
candy instead. The already-chewed
texture always gets to me. Granola and I
get along just fine, but oatmeal and I will always have a love-hate
relationship on camping trips.
The next
stop on our week adventure was Oregon Caves National Monument. The cave tour quickly plunged us into nearly
total darkness. It was damp and cold and
very narrow.
I’m mildly claustrophobic
and planned to bail at the halfway point of the tour through their escape side
door if it got to be too much. The
pictures on the brochure showed people on all fours crawling through the
openings. Today, that person would NOT
be me. My nose was still doing funny
things from the sinus infection and was running like crazy. As we walked from one cave room to another, I
whispered to Matt, “Would it be inappropriate to snot rocket in here?” He replied with a scolding stare. Okay, I guess not.
The only
other cave I have toured was man-made. A
retired iron ore mine near my hometown offers tours down into the carved out
tunnels. These things are always pretty
cool. My least favorite part is when
they turn the lights out and show us how the explorers got around: by light of
a single candle. They also did this on
the Oregon Caves tour.
Stalactites and
stalagmites grew from the floor and ceiling.
Every surface was wet and covered in a white calcium carbonate
paste. Since the stalactites grow at a
rate of centimeter per 1,000 years, it was easy to see the damage people had
done to this cave by collecting their own souvenirs. In the 1800s, conservation was the last thing
on anyone’s mind. Many names were
written on the rock and then covered in layers of calcium carbonate glaze, preserving
them forever.
Wandering
through a naturally hollow area of the mountain, I imagined the hikers on
trails above ground, some 1,000 ft. above us.
What would lead early settlers into a cave like this? There was no evidence of mining inside the
caves. Maybe I’m too big of a wimp, but
the idea of wandering into a cave and not being sure I’d find my way out sounds
absolutely terrifying. That’s not even
mentioning encounters with animals that may also call this cave home. That mostly comes from my childhood. “Don’t stick your hands in holes unless you
want them to get bitten off!” I’m glad
they’ve got gates at the ends, lights, and guides to give me tours now.
We reached
the halfway point and I felt calm enough to continue on. We reached the largest room in the cave and
stopped to explore. Our guide pointed
out a fault line over our heads. I’ve never
lived in a place with as many as they have here on the West Coast. The guide also speculated the room was
created when rocks in the tunnel fell from above. Luckily, there were no earthquakes when we
were inside. I climbed up several tall
ladders to the best room of all. An
entire wall of formations appeared.
These had been growing for millenniums!
Wow.
After the
tour, we took a quick hike to the top of the hill that the caves rested
in. The views were just like they are
often at home: foggy. The week’s activities
caught up with me that morning and I tried to convince Matt of a mountaintop
nap. “I think we should stay here and
wait for the fog to break up,” I suggested.
The only thing that matched our fatigue that week was our
appetites.
Lured back to the car for
lunch, skies darkened as we hunted through the cooler. Others dashed off to their cars during the
light rain. Matt and I enjoyed our lunch
from the shelter of our rain coats and hardly noticed it. When the thunder and lightning began, we
decided to finally pack up.
We drove to
the nearest campground and set up our tent.
I caught a quick snooze and the rain stopped so Matt convinced me to go
out for one more hike. I also convinced
him that a sundae would be the best reward for our hike, so we split a really
delicious hot fudge one.
Bedtime came
early. I think I was in bed by 8pm. Sleeping rocks.
oh, and so does Jiffy Pop.












1 comment:
I was amazed at, "centimeter per 1000 years". Talk about patience. Also,fascinating about a fault line being over your head! I like you pondering the fault lines. It would make me think too. Kind of scary,kind of thrilling. The Earth is alive,right down to the core.
The sundae and jiffy pop shots are great. They are interesting formations too. Like the smiles.
Post a Comment