Yesterday’s run was pretty slow and relaxed in every way. Our favorite coastal trail is in the process of being paved over and made handicap accessible. It floods a lot in the winter as a gravel trail, so I’m hoping that this pavement will improve the drainage. This trail is known for where dealers come to peddle their wares to each other, but with the daily bulldozers and gravel trucks, it has eliminated all of them, so perhaps it is an improvement after all, at least for now. Now families with children walk the path. We even saw a man on a motorized wheelchair walking his dog on the packed gravel section.
A mother with her two teenage daughters passed us on the trail. One daughter smiled at us and said to me, “Hi, you’re really pretty.” I practically floated through the rest of the run.
Today, Matt and I ran the same route, but a little bit longer. We did half a dozen 20-30 second sprints and then recovery jogged the rest. On my fourth or fifth sprint, we’re running through an area that has heavy brush that most of the transient population lives, when I hear a voice call out from in the bushes: “Damn! Look at you two go!!”
So while you’re going about your daily activities, pick a stranger to say something nice to. A little bit of positivity can make a huge difference in someone’s day!

2 comments:
Nice. So easy and true. I like that different parts of the population are using the path.
I've made it a point to say "hi" or "good morning" to people as I pass them when out running. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'd like to think so . . . at the very least I can help the 'Minnesota Nice' reputation live on. :)
Post a Comment