Trudging up the unrelenting trail to Mt. Elijah, the highest point in the park felt endless. It was still early enough in the morning that the moisture drenched me within just a mile or so. We climbed through the Port Orford Cedar and Douglas Fir trees. We climbed through the rocks and mud. The gorgeous views and varied landscape reminded me of the SOB course. Rightfully so, as the SOB course is less than 50 miles to the east of this place.
Many of the same views from the race met us at the top of Mt. Elijah at 6,390 ft. including Mount Shasta and the wildflowers. Matt and I enjoyed seeing the differences in season as we traveled from the Ashland area, to Crater Lake, and now back along the Oregon-California border, only miles west. It was impressive the difference a single week meant to the flowers.
The hillsides were covered with orange Wavyleaf Paintbrush and Sulphur Flower. We encountered no hikers atop the mountain. It felt as though Mother Nature handed us our own personal beautiful bouquet of flowering Mt. Elijah.
From the midway point, we descended the rest of the way back to the park. We skirted an exposed and rocky ridge line until emerging in a lush grassy oasis near Bigelow Lakes. These beautiful lakes always surprise me. Amongst the boulders and dusty soil hide these patches of life. For the first time today, I can hear birds chirping. They call this secret spot home.
We encounter our first hikers of the day, a retired couple determined to make it to the top of the mountain as well. They speak in a thick Aussie accent and lament their slowness when they see that we’re running the trail rather than hiking. I hope they realize how awesome I think they are, too. Most all the Americans, and mostly half of their age, we’ve seen on our trip don’t venture this far into the wild, let alone something as strenuous. I hope to continue an active lifestyle to their age and beyond, so senior hikers are inspirational to me.
The temperature rises as we lower into the valley. More hikers appear along the trail. Matt and I talked about my new outfit on our descent. In all, the skirt and shirt cost me $25. Most notable for this run was that it was my first with a running skirt. I have a hiking skirt, but it has too much fabric for me to enjoy often. When I found this Nike one at Goodwill for $3.99, I figured I’d give them another shot.
I absolutely love it except that it makes me feel like Trail Runner Barbie! Matt made jokes about my dainty outfit. My thighs stuck out awkwardly from beneath the skirt’s hem. My legs are muscular and laughably contrast from the ladylike skirt. I’m not exactly known for looking like a girlie runner. Most of my wardrobe consists of black shorts (I rotate four pairs of identical ones) and race shirts. “So does this make you Ken or G.I. Joe?” I asked.
We returned to the visitor center via the Big Tree trail. Two biologists collected data near Oregon’s tallest known Douglas Fir. They offered to take photos of Trail Runner Barbie and her sexy man, G.I. Joe. Matt said that he can’t be Ken, as Ken is too much of a pretty-boy.
As we removed our dusty shoes and gaiters at the car, a man approached us. “Are you going to run up Mt. Elijah next?” he asked in a sarcastic tone. “We just returned from there actually,” Matt replied. The man shuffled awkwardly and his gaze shifted to the ground, “Oh… well… which route did you take?” We told him of our route and the views from the top. As he walked away, he said to his friend, “Well, I’m glad people are still using the trails up there.”
We stopped back at the campsite to get our tent, have lunch, and catch a quick scrub before
moving westward. Pretty civilized, huh?
9.5 miles.
2:08.00.
2,390 ft. gain.
Highest point: 6,390 ft.
3 comments:
These pictures and that hike are beautiful, as always :D
I wear skirts just about every time I run, I just love them - way more comfortable for me than shorts.
Stunning pics. 60 and cloudy sound pretty darn divine about now.
Such pretty pictures, as always :). $3.99 for a Nike skirt? Score!! Whenever I go to Goodwill, I just find crap and never buy anything. My friend got some killer Frye boots for like $10. I was sooo jealous! Haha.
As much as the vast majority of the U.S. has been baking all summer, I can only imagine how nice a consistent cool temperature would benefit your running. Hope if your husband gets transferred, it's someone cool :).
Post a Comment