I awoke to a slight chill in the air at 5:30am. It felt great! Matt and I knew that the temperatures would climb into the triple digits by mid-day so we wasted no time getting ready and heading east, especially since we were unsure whether the highway would be reopened and we’d have to make a 3 hr. detour to get to Redding. When we approached the same place we waited the previous night, we watched the same cloud of smoke billow up the mountainside. We watched the firemen dash up and down the hill wearing heavy packs and toting either a long firehose or an ax. It looked like a miserable job. Having experience backpacking in this area, I know how rough it can be climbing these hillsides when there is a trail, I couldn’t imaging carrying such weight up a trail-free area over and over again. Finally, traffic began to move.
We moved slowly in a long train behind a pilot car. The highway lane closest to the mountain was covered in debris that had fallen from above. A mix of embers and rocks continued to tumble down and several whole trees were ablaze just across the double yellow painted line. We passed into the small town of Del Loma. I never notice this town when I drive through because it is literally a cluster of ten houses and a small restaurant. Today, it was lined with green USFS trucks and Cal Fire trucks. The smoke clouded over the sun and made it glow bright red. The sun reflected in the Trinity River and sparkled a deep ruby hue.
By 11am, we were running the trails of Whiskeytown at Davis Gulch. Already in the mid-80s, I struggled with the heat. Matt talked me out of the water bottle because it was ONLY three miles, but by mile 1 I was dizzy with thirst and dehydration.
We ran along the shores of Whiskeytown Lake, up and down through forests of Mahogany, Douglas Fir, and Madrone. The coastal mud flaked off of our shoes and was replaced by a coat of red clay dust.
Upon our return to the car, we peeled off our shoes and dove fully clothed into the lake. That’s right, I remember. This is the part of the heat that I actually enjoy, the swimming part!
When we arrived in Redding, we made a point to hit somewhere air conditioned each hour or so. We did a bunch of shopping. I hit the jackpot at Goodwill and found a Nike running skirt and tights and a North Face jacket, all in new condition for a total less than $20! Thanks to whomever donated these! We walked back to the hotel via Dairy Queen. I don’t really have to tell you if we stopped, do I?
Dreading another scorching trip in the car to hit the waterpark, we ended up enjoying the afternoon 106F heat at the pool aside our hotel.
Ken lives about 20 miles away and runs most of the local races I do. He even gave me altitude
racing advice for SOB at Dow's Prairie Race.









2 comments:
The nerd in me got all excited about your mention of the mahogany out at Whiskeytown! Alas, I found none, but did learn that the sugar pine is the tallest American pine.
I think the entire US is baking to death, what is wrong with this year? ugh. I'm ready to jump in the computer screen at that pool right now!! :) How cool to jump into the lake after a sweaty run, best recovery ever!!!
Hope the fires aren't too bad. We have had our share of bad ones here in Colorado this year. Bleh!
Post a Comment