Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Racing Plan Input Please!! :)

I'm building my fall racing calendar, and....

I can’t decide whether I want to run an October half or full marathon.

October 21 is the Humboldt Redwoods Marathon and Half.
December 2 is California International Marathon.

 I’m running CIM for sure, but don’t know which I want to run on Oct 21. Six weeks is enough time between two marathons (and I’ve done it before, but both were trail). I’d love a “halfway” marathon PR (like go for 3:38ish) attempt before I go all out for CIM (sub 3:30). I’d also love to really train hard and have a great half marathon too.



What would you do? And why?

6 comments:

Mary said...

My marathon days are over, but it seems like training for and running a fast half will only help you meet your goal. Not sure what a full would do. Save it up for the big one.

bobbi said...

I would do the half, but I am a giant wimp. I can totally see the value in running a "practice" marathon before your A race though. Is Humboldt trail?

Teamarcia said...

If it were me (geratric with ornery, grinding hips) I'd do the half. But its not. But I still say do the half though and give your full attention to CIM.
GL w/ your 5k!

Anonymous said...

I'd say do the half if you really want to peak for CIM.

MegG said...

I'm not the best person to ask on this one since I'm still on and off about marathons and have a serious love for halfs, so my predicable answer is half then full. You can still do GREAT at a half during stellar marathon training (I was only 2 minutes off my half PR during my marathon training, I attribute it to the track workouts for marathon training). But I know you love marathons and can run two very well.. so um. I'm no help. sorry!

Jill said...

You're totally strong enough to run Redwoods full marathon and have enough recovery before CIM, but I'd take Redwoods a bit slower and use it as a training run for CIM. Use the middle 10-13 miles at CIM pace and the rest easy miles. I'm hoping to do that in the fall with two races, but mine are only 4 weeks apart so I gotta take the first one much easier!