Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Crater Lake, day 1.


July 15
Driving through Medford.  I'm not going to tell you how many of those we actually stopped at.  It is a little embarrassing.

The dust flew from Matt’s shoes as he meandered down Sun Notch trail ahead of me.  I wondered to myself, “How can trees grow in such a dry place?”  That dusty soil, mostly pumice and a bit of clay, drains of water quickly.  The higher elevations seem to keep snow long enough to sustain a water source through the dry months and the runoff provides enough for large plant life.

We reached the end of the dusty trail.  Trees gave way to Crater Lake.  It is mind-blowing to think about the eruption that took place here 7,700 years ago and how the mountain collapsed one day.  It is mind-blowing that another volcano within the crater also blew and the hot magma sealed up the entire crater.  It is mind-blowing to know that all the water that is in the lake comes from snow and runoff, no streams at all.  Wow.  The only thing more impressive than the creation of Crater Lake is the view from the rim.

That got me thinking about Mt. Shasta and the fact that it is volcano of similar size to the former Mt. Mazama.  Some predict her eruption will occur when the Cascadia Fault (along the coast of CA, OR, WA, and BC) finally trips.  I can’t help but wonder, “Will this be in my lifetime?”  Ash spread as far away as Greenland with Mt. Mazama.  Incredible to think about, isn’t it?
Vidae Falls

We drove to the Castle Crest Wildflower Trail.  Just a few miles from the arid landscape and dusty powder trail appeared a lush meadow with a small creek running through it.  Melted snow trickled down the hillside in small streams and muddy spots formed alongside the trail.  We were a few weeks from the full glory of the wildflower meadow, but a few early bloomers shyly appeared in the sunniest spots.
 Lupine
Elephanthead
Pacific Bleeding Heart

Our third stop for the day was the Rim Trail.  I can tell we were lucky and caught an ideal weather day because the photos I got seemed every bit as wonderful as the gift shop postcards.  The color of the lake was the most striking to me.  Since no streams (and therefore silt) feed into the lake, it is pure enough to see the bottom in the shallow spots, sometimes down 100 ft. below the surface before disappearing to darkness.   

Blues, browns, and a few tints of red created a visual depth to the surface, despite us looking down from over 1,000 ft. above.  The sapphire water contrasted beautifully with the brown shoreline.  If someone fell from the rim, they wouldn’t be able to get out due to the steepness of the cliff all around.  That made the trail I was hiking both breathtaking and terrifying at the same time.

Matt and I cooked hamburgers for dinner and discussed our next training plan.  We’ll be adding an extra day of faster stuff, but it’ll be more of a fartlek for that 5th day each week.  It will be easy to pull the intensity from that sort of run if we find ourselves struggling for energy.  My training paces will be based off of a 3:30 marathon and Matt’s 2:55.  On the CIM course and their weather that time of year, both of our goals should be realistic.  And after the spring we’ve had, good marathon karma is bound to kick in, right?

4 comments:

Mary said...

I love Crater Lake! Great photos. Did you see Mt. Thielsen? My favorite peak ever.

giraffy said...

These are beautiful. You guys take the best trips.

Scott said...

Great photos. All the points about the formation of Crater Lake are mind blowing and fascinating. It's kind of cool, that geologically 7,700 years ago is relatively recent. I like that you're thinking about it. I think it says something about marathon karma. Getting in tune.

Jill said...

Dairy Queen ROCKS! I hope you hit them all up :).

I've never been to Crater Lake, but flying over it one time I vowed I'd go there sometime - isn't there a marathon we can run for fun there? Yes, let's do a blogger meet up and run the marathon for fun one year - would be awesome!! Great pictures, I can't get over how blue the lake is. Lakes here are brown or brown-green. So gross.