Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Trinidad

Some people absolutely hate tapering for a big race. I mean, I used to be one of them. Now I love it. I finally have time to really max myself out on my other interests instead of when I find time for them.

The weather last weekend was beautiful. I've learned not to go on backpacking trips just before a race (mostly back tension that REALLY affects my racing caused by sleeping on the ground), so we were basically limited to a weekend at home. Saturday, we went out for a run 6-miles. The sunshine felt incredible after an entire week of fog and clouds. I didn't want my easy run to end. Matt mentioned that he wished we had hiked instead of an easy trail run today. In a rare impulsive moment, I replied, "Why can't we do both?"

After an hour of showering, packing a lunch, and driving, we made it to Trinidad. In the sunshine, this sleepy community of mostly summer vacation homes, could be mistaken for a tropical beach town.

Trinidad Head, a lush pillar jutting from the ocean, can be seen for miles to the south. Our favorite long run spot has about five miles of clear viewing of this fabulous natural feature. Adjacent to Trinidad Head is the Trinidad State Beach. The beach parking lot was packed. Matt and I hiked up and around the Trinidad Head. We stopped for lunch. We walked slowly, absorbing all the sunshine we could stand.

As we sat on a bench overlooking the beach and coastline to the south, I couldn't imagine a better moment. Outside on a beautiful day with my husband and some homemade cookies. All moments like this, for me, are outdoors. Almost euphoric, I soak them in, hoping to retain their magic until my next excursion. Being outside really is awesome.

Matt and I discussed our goals for the upcoming marathon. I mentioned to him that I was having trouble focusing on the nearest race because we have so many trips and things coming up after that. One thing builds upon another, and suddenly, I feel like I'm buried. I'm determined to focus on the next task : Fresno. I've decided that my goal will be to start out at an 8:30/mi. If I can hold it for the entire race, that is great. If I cannot, that is fine too. With any big goal I set for myself, I must accept the risk of not reaching it. But the plus side of reaching for something that may be out of reach? Something great may happen. If I can average an 8:30/mi, I will finish in 3:42.
I left the hike feeling revitalized and ready to focus on the goal in front of me. MUST. IGNORE. OTHER. TRIP. PLANNING. Fresno is going to be fun. Followed by a week in Yosemite. Even if I don't reach my marathon goal, this trip will be great!

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Good luck at the mary, Karen! I'll be thinking of you. :)

Danni said...

YOu're in Trinidad???

Karen said...

Thanks, Meghan!

Danni, Trinidad, California. :)

bobbi said...

The first thing I thought was also NOT Trinidad, CA, lol...

It's so beautiful there. :)

Way to dream big! I can't wait to see you beat your goals!