
With packs at least ten pounds heavier than usual, we set off. Winter backpacking much colder than this would be a whole lot less fun, just because of the amount of clothing we'd have to take. That and I am almost always guilty of packing too much water. Hello Karen! Snow is water and it is all over the place.

By the time we were two miles along the trail, the painful cramping had traveled up my entire spine. I seriously considered turning back. This was the last free weekend that we were going to have until January, so I really tried to tough it out.
As the girl that usually has to wear really loose pants the first day of her period because even the waistband hurts, the pack's hip belt placed enough pressure on my hips and back that it was just one notch below excruciating.

We decided to set up camp just 4 miles along the trail because my pack hurt so much. I moaned, doubled over in pain in the snow, all through dinner. Being slightly chilled made things worse. They have never been this bad. Worried, Matt asked, "Do you think you need to see a doctor?" If I felt like this at home, I probably would have. (I hang with a heating pad at home.) I'm not usually one to cry, but I couldn't help it. Tears streamed down my face. Why didn't we just stay home? What if he's right and I actually do have something serious enough to need a doctor? I'm out in the middle of nowhere, miles from the nearest road. We decided that it would be best to pack out in the morning if I needed to. I huddled in my sleeping bag. Just laying down felt better. Mixing a cocktail of Pamprin, Ibuprofen, and snuggling in Down Cave with a hot water bottle seemed to do the trick. Finally the pain subsided.

Tomorrow, the plan is to finish the hike 5 mi each way and return to camp as we left it, with most of the weight in the tent, not on my girly parts.
1 comment:
ugh - sounds miserable...hopefully the worst was behind you...
Post a Comment