Thursday, November 03, 2011

Three Things Thursday : Travel Edition

1. I like to know where I am going. Driving around aimlessly in an unknown city really isn't much fun. Matt and I have gotten lost in enough sketchy neighborhoods to know that we need Google Maps directions everywhere. Since we are both in the stone age and don't have a GPS or cell phone (let alone one with map capabilities), we rely on printout copies. When I drive, Matt navigates best with maps. I navigate best with point-by-point text directions. So our printouts have both. And there are lots of them. Thankfully, I save directions to places I know I'll visit again, so all of our San Fran stops are already covered with the old directions.

2. Are you an over-packer? I can go light if I have to: I almost always fly with just a carry-on OR backpacking. But when I can take as much stuff as I want to, then dude, I WILL. Hubby likes to be prepared for everything. When I need a cough drop, he's got me covered, so I can't complain about him too much. If anything gets forgotten other than his clothes (which he packs), it's on my shoulders.

3. I make lots of lists of things to pack and do before I leave for a trip. I start packing for some trips a week in advance. If I try to be spontaneous and pack the night before, I always end up forgetting something crucial, like my contact solution. I did this once while camping at the Hiawatha Music Festival (yay! Marquette!), and that resulted in a very angry (boyfriend at the time) Hubby and I making a 2am trip across town to Walmart.


How do you pack for trips? Do you bring tons of stuff, or just the essentials?

Anybody want to buy me a GPS so I don't have to print out all these maps? :)

3 comments:

bobbi said...

I never thought I'd want a smart phone until I had one. The thing I love MOST about it sis GPS and maps. I am forever getting lost.

I am a planner when it comes to packing. And a huge list maker. I will forget the most important thing if left to last minute cramming...

Mary said...

I have huge packing anxiety. I'm not leaving until Sunday but I'm packed already, AND I have a list of last minute stuff. I think it comes from having been on a fire crew and being sent all over the country with only an hour's notice..

Lindsay said...

I have a go-to packing list that I adjust for various trips. By the way, if you ever forget contact solution again, you can get away with dropping a bit of salt into some tap water. I've done that a number of times and have been good to go. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I even buy contact solution...