Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Ten Years of Running: By the Numbers

Earlier this year, I ran the Green Bay Marathon to celebrate my ten year running anniversary. This is where I ran my first race, the half marathon, so it was fitting that I could attend this particular race. The day offered the opportunity to reflect on how I've grown as a runner and as a person in that time. I think it was my favorite race yet, remembering how I toed this starting line most of those ten years. Memories of fatigue, triumph, and frustration awaken each time I run this race.  In addition to all those stories, data sets full of finish times and mileage totals accumulate in my logbook.

Beat up running log= well loved

Each month looks like this. I use different symbols for each pair of shoes. Not the simplest way, but I don't like to fix what isn't broken.
A few months ago, a reader asked me if I kept a training log on Daily Mile. Even though I don't use an online running log, I have kept a very detailed one since 2006, when I began anew after a year-long running hiatus to battle cancer. I include races, monthly and yearly total mileage.  After writing my CIM recap last week, I realized that my blog doesn't quite detail the big picture and finishing out my tenth year with a post about those numbers seems fitting.

Basically, it looks like one long increase in mileage and steadily dropping race times. I have followed a very gentle progression and found a balance that works to keep me both uninjured and getting faster. I don't like taking a lot of time off, so running in a way that challenges me yet avoids complete burnout is essential.

If you're not interested in all the numbers and paces, feel free to skip this post. This is what my first ten years of running numbers has looked like. Figures do not include hiking, biking, or drunken college girl strolls at midnight.

Since 2006, I've covered 9,716 miles and burned through thirty pairs of shoes. As my form became more efficient and I bought higher quality shoes, that number has slowed and I've been able to squeeze more miles out of each pair.

Click on the picture to see the large version.


Click on the picture to see the large version.

Important dates that had effects on my running:
Jan. 2006: Resume normal life after cancer. I could barely walk two blocks when I began the year.
June 2007: Married my college running buddy. Instant training partner!
July 2007: Moved to Oklahoma. Ugh. Stupid heat and humidity.
Feb. 2008: Moved to Alaska. Winters had lower mileage. Began trail running.
Oct. 2010: Moved to California. Woooo! Year round crazy training!
Jan. 2011: IT Band injury and over-trained. Ooops. Recovered and learned my lesson by March.

Do you keep running logs? What do you use?

9 comments:

Mary said...

That is very detailed and impressive. I kept running logs for years. I stopped after my last marathon and my knee surgery. Too sad. Now I do so much other stuff, the running log would be a cross training log, so there's not really much point.

Holly @ Run With Holly said...

The data nerd in me is SWOONING! :)

Jeano said...

I love seeing your race time progressions! Those are so cool (and impressive). I should start doing something like that, although I rarely race.

I write my mileage on a calendar and get way too much joy from it.

Musings Of A Girly Tomboy said...

Wow! This is awesome! Love your details and organization. I bet it's a great tool to have, to learn from, and to reminisce with. Congrats on your runiversary :)

meghan said...

I love numbers! This post makes me so happy! It's amazing to see your progress and the relation that your speed has to your miles of training overall!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I keep track of miles on my Google calendar and on Garmin Connect. I like your spreadsheet!

Karen said...

Mary, I think I'll probably stop at some point too. Your cross training log would look super impressive!

Holly, I wasn't sure if these numbers were too nerdy or not. Glad you enjoy them!

Jeano, I really enjoy totaling things up at the end of the month too.

Girly, Thanks! It sometimes helps me spot training errors and plan the next season.

Meghan, I figured you'd be one to enjoy these numbers! :)

Tina, The spreadsheet is adapted from a crude chart I have in the back of each of my log books. It makes comparing year to year really easy.

Meghan said...

Holy cow! That's amazing mileage! I love to see how you've built on that number from year to year!

Karen said...

Meghan, I haven't ever made a goal to increase yearly mileage, I set a goal the last month of the year (just because I like round numbers..hehe), it just happened that way.