Our Thanksgiving Day began with a Turkey Trot. Matt always makes sure he trades shifts or takes vacation time to get this race in. We assembled with all of our running club friends as they introduced us to their relatives visiting from out of town. They told us about the busy schedule they have for the rest of the day. We run and visit afterward. Everyone seemed relaxed yet frantic at the same time.
Back at home for the rest of the day, we leisurely cook a big meal and play many games of Bananagrams and Tetris until bedtime.
Our Black Friday was spent with friends at the Headwaters Trail. All of us were sore from the race the day before, so we moved slowly and cherished the fact that we were able to coordinate our schedules.
We heard about their family dinners the previous day. I feel a momentary bubble of jealousy lift in my throat; I sometimes wish my family were more available in my daily life. This time of year, it feels like I'm being poked by an annoying little holiday elf that won't go away. "You chose to be alone. Who feels like crap now?" he says in his chipper sing-song voice.
![]() |
| I believe he looks like this. (source) |
A warm glow lifted in the sky, reflecting off the fog and steam as it melted the frost underfoot. Beneath the forest canopy, it was still mostly dark. We passed through warm, sunny pockets of trail and stagnant chilly ones. In the chilly air, my legs stung as they slowly went numb. Achy spots subsided. My favorite trail appeared reluctant to wake up this morning too.
Through the swirl of endorphins and sunshine of the parking lot, I took a deep breath. Okay, I'm better now. Living our lives differently than expected is nice. I've got my favorite Redwood trail and good friends to run with. Yes, that's enough.
![]() |
| Sunset Friday evening. |
We probably would take some time off if we lived within a 10-12 hr drive of our families. Since we have to travel through four airports to get to my family (three to Matt's) it significantly ups the chances of getting stranded somewhere en route. That would be even more upsetting than just staying home.





7 comments:
When my family was in Indy and I was here there was no way I could make it up on Thanksgiving so I just looked at it as more time to relax. I, like you, choose to go back in the summer instead.
the run was just what I needed on the day after thanksgiving, we spent the previous day in a tight apartment with Dean's brother's family, which was good, but our lives are all a little off track right now, it's been a rough year for staying on the right path. Running has kept me sane during moments of weakness. I am thankful to have Dean by my side, and thankful to all my running friends that get me out and about.
I never travel during the holidays. I find it stressful due to all the angry and anxious people, the chances of being stranded, and the emphasis on having to have a perfect day. I think your way is much better.
Living in Alaska, holiday travel is a nightmare: long delays, packed flights, scary layovers in crammed airports with angry people (why are people so angry during the holidays?). I prefer to spend it more quietly here at home with MM and the beasts. There's something to be said for a nice, quiet holiday. I think the word might be peace.
Love the photos. Congrats on your 5K PR. P.S. Have you guys finished off the pie yet?
Abby, Summertime is especially nice since we don't get summer here (60 and foggy). It is nice to wear shorts again!
Nikki, Thanks for joining us. I hope our schedules align again for another run soon.
Mary, That's why we stay put. And I don't like sleeping on the floor at SFO enough to want to risk it. I do miss the big family gatherings sometimes.
Cinthia, Tickets out of Fairbanks were the worst. With just one wintertime airline to the lower 48, tickets sold out in Sept and were ridiculously expensive until then. As for the pie, it lasted all of 16 hrs maybe? It was delicious.
I'm woefully behind on the blog-wagon (can't wait to read about CIM, by the way) - but this post connected with me, and I just wanted to send you some mid-December holiday love.
Our situation is different, but my family and my husband's are separated by over 8,000 miles. So even if we're close to one, we rarely celebrate a holiday with both families (unless one travels - happening this year for the first time). And celebrating American holidays in Singapore is rather lonely, too. Thanksgiving this year was a treat, as I did get to visit my family - but my husband had to stay in Singapore to work. So there's a constant balancing/compromise act of work/play/family. I guess everyone experiences it to different degrees and at different times of their lives - and sometimes it hurts. Sort of a lot. So I'm feeling you. And I love your solution...adventure!
Hope you guys enjoy a quieter holiday season, maybe some wine and game nights with friends, and of course...a few new places to explore! =)
Holly, Thanks! We've got some plans for Lassen Volcano National Park for Matt's next weekend after Christmas. It will get me some adventure and a snow fix!
Post a Comment