January
I'm a planner. I feel best prepared when I make lists
and do my research. I like to make the most of Matt's vacation time.
Sometimes a weekend sneaks up on me and I have no plan. Two of these
came up this month. One we ended up running an impromptu 50K in the Bay
Area and the other, we went skiing near Mt. Shasta. Here's a photo from
the latter. No jackets? What is this sorcery?Races: Crystal Springs 50K, Patrick's Point 10K.
February
We returned to Fairbanks for the first time since we moved away, enjoying a week long ski trip to remote cabins, visits in town with friends and a soak at Chena Hot Springs. Despite the cold, -15F to -40F the whole trip, it ended up being one of my favorites. There's something beautiful about subzero landscapes that tugs at my heart in an unusual way.
Races: None!
March
Races: Foggy Bottom Milk Run 10 Mi, Redwood Wild River Run 15K.
April
This is one of my favorites for the whole year, both the trip and the photo. A couple of our college friends visited from Michigan and they wanted a pretty backpack trip. The Lost Coast didn't disappoint. I love how such rugged wilderness is so nearby, it's definitely not the norm in California. Matt and I directed a trail race in April too. I wheeled the course for accuracy early in the week and made awards for the winners. I never would have guessed I'd get to keep the award, but I won!! Hills really are my forte, I guess. Races: Arcata Forest 5.5 Mile Race.
May
May was the month of the marathon. After a sinus infection derailed my first of the month, I decided to run a second two weeks later since I wasn't totally wrecked. My first race was at Green Bay ten years ago, it feels like my hometown course even if I live over 2,000 miles away now. It was awesome to celebrate my 10th running anniversary with marathon #10 at Green Bay. I also cheered my mom on in her first 5K. It was the best little girls' weekend. Someone told me that two marathons in two weeks makes me eligible for Marathon Maniacs, so I guess that's cool?
June
June was the month of watching others run. First, we crewed for Danny at the Newport Marathon and then watched world class track athletes at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene. So much runner nerd for one weekend. It was the best.
Races: Dow's Prairie 6.1 Mile Run.
July
Tour of Mont Blanc, the 104 mile hiking trail through the French, Swiss, and Italian Alps. This was the best idea ever. We slept in mountain refuges and ate pastry for ten days straight. America needs to set up treks like this. Pictured is Rifugio Bonatti, one of the refuges in Italy. My mom also came to visit and we took a lot of fun day trips together. It was nice to hang out together, it is rarely just the two of us.
Races: Fortuna Rodeo 5K.
August
Matt and I returned to the U.P. to see my family and to Wisconsin to visit with his. Sometimes I miss having a real summertime that includes wearing shorts, but these short visits are enough to get my fill. I managed to shred my legs during a fall at the Marquette Trail 50K and come close to a DNF. As a result, the rest of the month was a little slow. No lasting damage to my knees, thankfully.
September
Just as my knees healed, I got salmonella. Apparently a month of resting does the body good because I ran a new half marathon PR. We followed that race up with a trip to Utah to check out pretty red rocks and the beautiful Wasatch Mountains.
Races: The Rogue Run Half Marathon.
October
Fall marathon training took off in October. This month was mostly about running with friends. We shared wonderful trail runs with Danny, Paul, Tracy, Lanore, and two visiting friends from Alaska, Mike and Erik. I can't remember a month where we had this many running dates. This is when we took Mike and Erik to the Headwaters trail. My allergies flared up horribly for most of this month leaving my racing ability weak, but because of that I had some breakthroughs in my mental racing game.
November
November held many commitments at home. We raised our own meat chickens and with the exception of a few day trips, we stayed put. This month was exceptionally sunny and warm and without coastal stratus, we were treated to many fantastic sunsets like this one.Races: Arcata Bottoms 8 Miler, Turkey Trot 5K.
December
The highlight of this month was the California International Marathon. After two years of challenging marathons, either due to the weather or my allergies/asthma, almost all the pieces came together on this one and brought back the confidence in my marathon racing. The rest of the month was spent experimenting with my bread recipes, caroling with the saxophone quartet, and achieving kitty cat PRs.
Despite a few setbacks, this was a fantastic year. It was a wonderful blend of all of my favorite things. As far as running, I continue to see my consistency and hard work pay off. For the second year in a row, I won my age group in the club circuit, achieving first place at every race except one. I ran a PR at every distance other than 50K, that is pretty awesome.












10 comments:
I love your recap, and as always, your photos. What a great year!
I have no suggestions, you live in a beautiful place, nothing in SoCal can touch it ;). Maybe Shadow of the Giants in June?
Happy New Year!
Nice recap. You did quite a bit of traveling! You need to come up to Oregon and hike the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood areas. :)
Wow! As I was going through these, I kept saying, "That's my favorite, no, wait, THAT'S my favorite, no, no, I can't decide!!" These are all so great.
The Lost Coast looks awesome - I'm starting to daydream about possible summer treks (test gods willing) and that looks like it could be a great place to go!
America's got nothing on Europe in terms of refuges, but there are a few. The White Mountains in New Hampshire, for example. I had a friend who worked at the only hut of the bunch above tree line and got to stay there for the night - it was so much fun and quite luxurious! I believe there are some in California as well (you may well already know about these) because my dad had thrown out the idea of staying at a few when we were planning a Sierra hike a couple of years ago. We opted to carry our own junk in the end, but I could have used a shelter or two!
You always have the most amazing photos.
Wow. Your photos really are amazing. Your year has been spectacular, and to achieve a PR in every distance in one year after you've been running for 10 years is truly amazing. Congratulations. Hm? A 50 miler! I bet you'd love that.
I think you should totally go for a 50 miler! I bet you'd rock it! And wow, your photos are pretty spectacular!
Northeast Oregon?
Thank you everyone, for enjoying my photos and offering suggestions. I'll be looking into all of them in the upcoming months, some were already on my radar!!! :) Happy 2014 to everyone!
Wow, beautiful photos! I think the one of the Northern Lights is my favorite, I really want to see those some day!
Mary, You should!! They are awesome and the photos don't really capture it. I recommend a winter trip to Fairbanks. They have more clear nights than the Anchorage or Juneau areas.
Post a Comment