Saturday, December 21, 2013

Unexpected PR!

It was one of those foggy afternoons that occur so frequently around here. One of those days where everyone sits inside and snuggles up with a cozy blanket.

Zoey demonstrates proper technique, complete with disgusted scowl.
We huddle next to something warm and take a nap.  This is especially true with me since the marathon was less than two weeks ago.  But somehow, this foggy Saturday turned into a PR day on my five mile route.
This is what the average foggy day looks like. Usually, one can see the ocean from here.
It started off slowly at first. I had no expectation to have a personal record for this course. I even brought the camera along so I could take pictures of Christmas decorations along my route. That seems to be how it always goes, doesn't it? But the best PRs are the ones you don't see coming.
Someone else wishes there was real snow.
The first mile was average for me. Then mile two, my numbers began to increase.  By mile three, I knew that I had a really good chance to PR if I just concentrated, focusing on the task at hand.

By mile four, I knew that I had a solid PR day and the final mile was a victory lap of sorts. I grinned from ear to ear. I did it! It was a new PR!
....

........

.............



SIXTEEN KITTY SIGHTINGS IN FIVE MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.2/mile average
(previous PR: 8)

Here are a few of them:
I see this guy almost every run.
New, very shy kitties.

I see him often too.

Some were easier to spot than others.

This house at 5pm has 5-8 cats. Just one at 1pm.

Santa Claws at mile 4.
Some were super friendly and some ran away before I could get a photo of them.
I have a weakness for fluffy kitties.

This one knew it too. Got a few snuggles before continuing on my way.
Runs like this are how I spend my off season. Most of the time, I skip the watch and run for fun. Within a month, I'm mentally recharged and ready to tackle another tough training cycle, even though my next one doesn't start for another three months. Then when I finally begin training hard again in March, I am brimming with motivation and excitement for the fast stuff.

What's your off season like? Do you go on sightseeing runs on your everyday routes? Am I one step from becoming the crazy cat lady or does my married status exempt me from that forever?

5 comments:

Mary said...

I love this! My calico read it intently too. And sorry to tell you but I think you can be married and be a crazy cat lady. I think I'm one. :) Love that you count cats. I'm going to start.

Anonymous said...

Haha, very good. And I did start off thinking "she's supposed to be taking it easy, noooo!"

Alicia

Abby said...

I just laughed out loud when I realized what your PR was. LOVE IT! I'm still single so I will become a crazy cat lady way before you, don't worry. Love that you had a fun run.

Karen said...

Mary, I love calico cats, they're so adorable and have the best personalities. I hope to become a crazy cat lady. One lifetime goal, I think.

Alicia, I love that you'd step in and scold me if I don't rest like I should.

Abby, YAY! Crazy cat ladies unite! :)

Jeano said...

Ahahaha, that was hilarious. When I first read this on my phone, it was not at all obvious to me what you were talking about and I had to re-read the punchline multiple times before I got it. Much more obvious when read on a computer! That, or I already knew what to look for. Whatever the case, congratulations! You're totally right, PRs come at the most unexpected times!