Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Tapers Make Me Nuts


Week 2 of the taper looked like this:
  • 30.5 miles.
  • 5.5mi MRP, negative splits down to 7:40 avg., so too fast, but it felt incredible.
  • 5mi fartlek
  • Turkey Trot 5K and a new PR
  • 11mi hilly trails, easy
  • 4 mi easy road miles.
One major advantage to training for and running CIM is that the Turkey Trot is perfectly placed. The focused training allows me to double dip for both the 5K and marathon. Last week felt great.
Zoey demonstrates proper taper rest technique.
The week before a marathon has always been toughest for me.  My legs ache from inactivity.  My inner drama queen tries to tell me that it's because I'm losing fitness, yet the sane part knows it's because I'm not distracted by training and have way too much time to agonize over each little tight spot.  My training has gone well even with a few little setbacks. My PR (3:43:07) is from last year's monsoon of a race, so on a dry cool day, I'm expecting that good things will happen.

Less running makes me kinda twitchy. I'm a junkie, looking for her next fix. Just give me some miles please! What do people do when they don't run for an hour or two each day?  I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Blueberry oat artisan bread. My latest obsession is artisan bread.
I've been channeling my extra energy into honing my domestic goddess skills. I've been baking yummy things, playing the piano, and decorating my home for the holidays. We're also finishing up with the chickens before we go away for the race.
Chickens are weird creatures.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I don't run for two hours every day but I exercise every day except for rest days. I don't know what other people do, but it would be nice to have a couple of extra hours! I NEVER have enough time. However, not nice enough that I will quit exercising. You feel antsy because you are ready. Don't do what I did on the week of one of my marathons: speed work. Really?

Anonymous said...

So it's this weekend? Good luck!! That sounds like a perfect taper week.

If I weren't spending a couple of hours running most days, I'd be keeping up with playing the violin...I miss it all the time but there's just no way to fit in both violin and running.

Alicia

Karen said...

Mary, I love my rest days, I get so much done. I did a short track workout this week, 4x440yds, it was enough to keep my legs feeling sharp but not enough volume to beat me up.

Alicia, Yes, Sunday! California International (glad it's not Dallas or St Jude). Musical instruments require daily practice just like running does, I understand. I play saxophone in a few ensembles too, very time consuming. There's a world record for the fastest marathon run while knitting a scarf. I think you should be go for the "running while playing the violin" record.