| Friends don't believe me when I say my race fuel is Lucky Charms. Check out the nightstand. I don't joke about my race routine. |
| Exhibit B: Cheerful nails. Matt's say: "Go Karen", Mine: "Run Fast" |
Matt and I managed to pick our friend Lanore out of the sea of 8,000 runners. We decided to run the first miles together. She was shooting for 3:30 and I was hoping for 3:30-3:35. The rising sun illuminated the cloud of steam that rose from the runners up ahead. Temperatures were in the mid-20s at the start and didn't rise above freezing until after I finished. The three of us were happy when the race finally began and we could warm up a bit. The first few miles were run with frozen shoes and feet. I had forgotten what chilly runs felt like. With as much cold weather experience as I have (Alaska Karen would balk and call 25F "balmy"), I was confident that a few miles would warm me up wonderfully.
In the months leading up to this race, I debated whether or not to run based on feel. Until I chained myself to a specific time goal a few marathons ago, I had always run and done well pacing off of internal cues. I decided to go back to that and ignore my watch other than the mile splits. On this rolling hills course, Garmin wasn't going to be much help anyways.
Miles 1-6: 8:08, 7:51, 7:48, 7:42, 7:55, 7:56
The first six miles passed quickly and I was surprised when we were already that far. If a mile split was too quick, I made sure to slow the next one down a little. I thought back to last year's 5 mile split, I felt incredible today compared to then! Matt, Lanore, and I chatted about the spectator signs until she began to pull away from me at mile 7.
The course made a sudden turn south and sunshine filtered through broken clouds. It was beautiful. Depending on whether the aid station was in the shade or not determined its safety. We had to slow quite a bit for most of them on the first half of the course. Runners ahead had dropped partially used cups of water and it was glare ice. Many stations had someone out front shouting a warning about the ice. It was a nice smooth glaze over the roadway and Matt said he saw a couple people fall. Ouch. The Gatorade was a nice temperature, but the water was so cold it hurt my teeth and made me cough as it went down.
At some point before halfway, I looked over at Matt and saw he had half inch icicles growing from his beard. He ran his fingers across his chin to investigate. "I knew I should have brought the camera," he said. This is his first beard and he's constantly amused by how it feels, looks, and behaves in all kinds of weather. I may never see his clean shaven freckles again!
![]() | |
| (source) It looked like this. Cropped to keep me looking like too much of a creeper.... |
Miles 7-13: 7:51, 8:04, 8:01, 7:55, 8:02, 8:00, 7:57
I reached halfway in 1:44. "You only have to keep under 8:30 pace the rest of the way to run a 3:35!" I said to myself, "You can do that! That's your long run pace!"
Miles 14-20: 7:59, 8:29 (inhaler), 8:03, 8:01, 8:17, 8:11, 8:37
Last time I was at the allergist, I asked about how to use my inhaler during a long race. She told me that since a marathon is much more intense on my lungs, I could use it more frequently, once an hour if I needed to. The cold air caused some mild discomfort in my lungs so I decided that two hours in was time enough for a hit. I pulled off to the curb at mile 15 and fought with cold fingers to get the inhaler out and positioned properly to get anything into my mouth. After a few failed attempts, I was finally able to get it to work. Within a mile, I felt my body relax and I was able to run comfortably once again.
During a particularly sunny spot in mile 17, I heard a voice call out to me. "Go Karen and Matt!" It was Becky manning one of the intersections as a course marshal. That's when I thought of all of you, my readers, following along at home. I don't say it enough, but I truly cherish all the support you've given me during these last few years. As much as I wanted to have a good day for myself, I wanted to make all of you proud as well.
| Pre-race dinner with, Matt, blogger Selica, Lanore and her husband Ron (not pictured). |
The cold in my hands began to travel up into my arms and neck. Since I always sweat so heavily, I can never get my hands warm without being completely drenched everywhere else and now I was feeling the chilly breeze slice through my outfit. I drafted off of Matt and it helped a bit but my breathing had returned to a loud, raspy donkey wheeze. My lips were numb and my throat sore from the cold air (I'm a mouth-breather when I run). Without realizing it at first, I had begun raising my hand to my mouth to warm my face. It wasn't really helping.
Miles 21-25: 8:27, 8:46 (inhaler), 8:40, 8:56, 9:04
As I gradually slowed, Matt found himself looking over his shoulder more frequently and noticing I was falling behind. I turned on my iPod and used it to pacify any negative thoughts. It worked perfectly and soon I was jamming as I ran down the street. I slowed to almost a walk as we crossed a small bridge over the American River., but otherwise kept a steady shuffle. Now we were on the Downtown Sacramento grid. Not much longer now, I told myself, You've got this! I was passing dozens of people and found this enormously encouraging.
Then mile 25 came. Everything suddenly seized up. My vision blurred and my legs trembled. With each footfall, I found myself focusing on the landing just to stay upright. It reminded me of the fatigue I had late in chemo treatments. I could barely stand. As the 3:35 pace group passed by, I told myself to stick with them and catch up. My body refused to move with them. It was as if I were standing still, my legs tied together, watching as they sprinted by.
"Don't stop, you're almost there!" Matt offered. Even though he didn't mention it, I could tell by the look on his face that he already knew I'd miss my goal. For the last half of a mile, he repeated the same thing. "You're almost there, keep going. Don't stop." He later said he was surprised I didn't bark angrily at him and didn't stop. Instead I just agreed and mindlessly followed him down the street.
Mile 26: 10:20
When we reached the split for the separate male and female finish lines, Matt reminded me of our agreement. We were going to race to the finish; he promised not to go all out. On that final straightaway lined with people, I wobbled as they cheered for me. I can only imagine that I looked like a stumbling drunk as lithe runners dashed past me. I'm sure at least a dozen girls passed me on that final approach alone.
The volunteers must have seen me struggling because as I tripped over the second of two timing mats, they caught me and I never hit the ground. They pulled me back up and pretty much carried me through the line, stopping to remove the timing chip, get my medal, and wrap me in a foil blanket. Eventually the quaking in my legs had diminished enough for me to stand on my own. They offered to help me to the med tent, but I mumbled something about Matt finishing with me and pointed to the men's finish line. "He's just right over there", I said. I thanked them for their help. Upon realizing that I did have someone to look after me and I wasn't just babbling incoherently, they left me with him. "Finish line angels swooped down and saved me," I told Matt. Okay, maybe I wasn't quite with it after all. I still don't know how it happened, but someone managed to pause my Garmin within ten seconds of my finishing.
We gathered our sweat bags and found a spot on the lawn of the state capitol building. There were still quite a few frosty spots on the grass but we chose a sunny one. I sprawled out in the sunshine and rested for a few minutes before changing into a dry shirt and reading the time on my watch. A few minutes short of my goal, but still a respectable PR (previous: 3:43:07, CIM 2012):
3:37:36
8:19/mi.
I have to admit that it stings a little bit to watch my goal slip away in the last half mile. Maybe my asthma medications make my lungs more sensitive to the cold? All I know is that I spent the remainder of the day coughing and feeling slightly confused. I should have worn a scarf to warm the air as I breathed it in.
| I remember the Dairy Queen part too. |
I am proud of the fact that I didn't give up. I have a new PR. Sometimes progress doesn't follow a linear pattern and it's essential to look back at the big picture. With this marathon, I’ve officially removed over 80 minutes from my first marathon time (4:58:35) in 2009.
Running doesn’t come easy to me, the last thing someone would call me is a “natural”, so every bit of what I’ve accomplished has come from hard work and consistency. And if that's not something to be proud of, I don't know what is.


16 comments:
I was a creeper too - I was thinking about you all day and I totally stalked your finish time :)
9 marathons in, and I'm realizing for me just what it takes to get a marathon finish that I'm not disappointed in. Which makes me LESS disappointed, if that makes any sense. It has to be perfect, and how often as runners do we get that? I've been unlucky more than I can count.
It may have not been quite your goal time, but still, a Pr is a PR! Congratulations on not giving up, not giving in, and finishing upright. I'd wondered how your asthma would respond to the cold temps...you did amazing despite circumstances that were less than ideal for you. GREAT JOB!
(also (longest comment in history - sorry!) you inspire me exactly because what you've achieved hasn't been easy for you. You give me so much hope!)
You fought hard, and that PR was well earned - congratulations!!
At least it wasn't cold AND monsooning?
I stalked your finish time too and I was pretty sure it was a PR but was trying to wait to be excited until I knew for sure. Now I can be; congratulations!! I hope your recovery goes well too. Do you already know what's next or will you decide later?
Alicia
Dig The Toes!!! Awesome
You are in a super fast qualifying time slot right now. I think five minutes is awesome. Be proud. Boston is just a race, running is forever!
Congrats on the PR, Karen! Awesome, awesome and awesome again. And I'm with Mary: Boston is just a race. And really, as much as everyone strives to BQ, I often wonder why. Maybe I'm being naïve but I'd rather run trails and up in the mountains instead of elbowing my way around 30,000 other runners through city streets.
I also have asthma though rarely use an inhaler. The cold makes it more difficult to breathe, I rasp a lot and every breath takes the effort of two.
So if you ran 3:37 with asthma in the cold you can easily run 3:35 in warmer conditions, trust me on that.
But forget all that. You PRed!!! You and your green toenails!! That is so totally cool.
Congratulations! Do you have any plans for a Bay Area 50K now that it's ultra season for you? Just curious. Probably a little soon to ask. ;)
Enjoy the afterglow.
Congrats on your PR! It sounds like you ran a tough race, and I really love reading all about your training and experiences.
And OMG, the beard. That's crazy!
Okay I have always thought you were amazing, but I didn't realize you cut 80 minutes off your marathon time in just a few years.
Wow. I am about 2 years in and struggling to cut 30 off - from a 5:15 start to hopefully sub 4:45 next time.
I guess I just assumed you had always been super speedy! It makes me respect you even more to realize how much you have improved.
That is a great PR! 6 minutes! And I'm sure there's much you could have done about the asthma. My asthma is worst in the cold. I'll wheeze for the rest of the day when I race in the cold (even if I do everything right and take all my inhalers). I'll also be light headed and have a massive headache. Asthma stinks in the cold. Nice job sticking it out!
Gah, that was horrible that your friend said to take back her words...at least apologize.
Ok, enough of that.
I know exactly how you're feeling right now, I've been in your shoes (not literally :)) many times feeling disappointed I didn't reach my goals. One year I did Big Sur and it took me 3 months to get over how poorly I raced it and move on - ha. But what I learned in those races is that the ones that we worked so hard for and just didn't quite reach are the ones we will remember the most when we start at the starting line next time - because you know that goal is within reach and we'll never take them for granted.
You ran a fantastic race and hell yeah, a PR by that much is incredible. Embrace it, my friend...running may not be natural for you, but you have a gift of sheer determination and that is priceless. I'm sorry I gave you the wrong phone # and our wires crossed and we couldn't meet up....we must get together one of these times, what a honor it would be for me to meet you.
Congratulations - you so earned that day!
(btw, every single person I know who ran that course, myself included, faded greatly at the end. I think it was because it flattened out so much at the end and we were working the same muscles - overusing them. Well, that and general end of the race fatigue, but something about that course screams hard at the end).
Fantastic job! You are so close to getting the BQ. It isn't easy but worth the journey. Congrats on the Personal Best! That is a big accomplishment to where you started and where you are now. I hope to meet you in person at a race in the future.
Wow! Karen I'm amazed. I know you said it was hard watching your goal slip away at the end, but you ran a fantastic race in some really tough and too cold conditions. I'm sure it messed with your asthma, and you still did amazingly well. As far as the BQ, you're so close that I'm sure you'll be there in no time. Sorry about the people congratulating you when you didn't make it; I'm sure it stung a little bit. And I have to tell you that I had no idea your first marathon was 80+ minutes slower. That gives me hope for what I can get to if I keep working at. Congratulations on your PR and a good solid race!
Congrats on the finish! Any marathon finish is an accomplishment. Finishing healthy (nevermind a bit of wheezing) is worthy of celebration. 3:37 is MORE than respectable.
It may not have been what you wanted; but every race teaches us something (or more than one thing) - and your BQ may just have to come on another day. But I suspect it isn't like you weren't planning on another marathon in the future.... ;-)
Hope you've been able to rest, relax, breathe, and recover well in the last 2 weeks. Enjoy that PR!!
Bobbi, I understand what you're saying and I agree. The more marathons I run, the more relaxed I become about the race. Freaking out is only going to hurt me.
Giraffy, I think I would have cried if it were both. It DID do that Friday night before the race in Sacramento!
Alicia, I'm taking some trail time and then running the Little Su 50K. After that is a May marathon in Southern California. Want to come?
Thanks Padre! Over a week later Matt still has those green toes!
Mary, It doesn't matter too much to me that it is Boston, it is just one more goal I didn't quite hit.
Cinthia, I used to cough a LOT after runs in Fairbanks (before I was diagnosed with asthma). I knew to wear a facemask for easy runs below 15F, but I think racing in the cold is different. My lungs work harder and I should have had a scarf for this race.
Thanks Meghan! Matt loved his icicle beard. I can't wait to see what our Feb. race in Alaska does to it!
Abby, Thanks! For me, it was all about consistency. I saw the greatest improvement when I kept running through the winter months. Also, figuring out how to best balance training hard and rest really helped keep me from getting injured.
Katie, Thanks! Do you mean there wasn't? If there was something I could do about it, please let me know! Some of the winter races here have the possibility of being that cold and I'd really love to avoid further issue.
Jill, Thanks! That last 10K where there aren't rolling hills, it is a bit jarring to the system. And counting down from almost 50th street to 9th wasn't much fun.
Thanks Chris! You should check out some of the local races here, maybe one would suit you: 6rrc.com
Meghan, Thank you!! You are a really hard working, smart runner, I'm sure you'll be pulling PRs for quite a while. :)
Holly, Thanks! I can tell the recovery from this marathon is going a little slower because of how aggravated my lungs were, but at least I didn't do long-term hurt to my body. You're right, now I have proof that I am capable of that 3:35 and this race will only make me feel more confident for the next one.
Post a Comment