Monday, December 19, 2011

Ma-L'el Funk

Returning to the Ma-L’el Dunes is always a treat. The sky was darkening as we followed the meandering trail up and down the steep trail. Eventually, the three of us made it to the sand dunes. I was feeling sluggish and Alex was battling a bad running funk. Matt snapped photos to try and perk us up. As we moved along the packed and soft sand patches, our moods improved. Just getting out there is sometimes all I need to feel better.

A dark cloud loomed over the ocean. The rain was due to arrive at 6pm. Do you trust the weather forecast? Running with two meteorologists with a front about to pass overhead includes lots of speculation and mention of the forecast models. It is not often that they agree 100% with each other. But today, yes, 6pm sounded near perfect.



We learned quickly that this type of hill is to be avoided unless you want to fill your shoes with sand.

Darkness fell earlier than normal with the thick cloud cover. This time, I was prepared with my headlamp. I never run in the dark, so getting at least some experience with limited visibility would be helpful for Susitna. The 11am start all but guarantees that I will finish in the dark. We had trouble finding the trail away from the dunes. Only a small, waist-high post marks the trail. About 10 minutes of searching and circling around on the dunes, we found it. Ominous trail, lit only by my headlamp, Alex told a story about Bigfoot. Great topic for a dark run in the forest. Sure.

Just as we finish stretching at the car, the drizzle starts, 6:00pm. Perfect timing, Boys.

No comments: