Monday, December 19, 2011

Double Climb 22

Gaining 2,500 ft. in the first three miles is one efficient way to warm up quickly. Mostly a walk, the trail provided absolutely no flat spots.
Matt speculated that it would be easier than the last time we ran this trail, our first trail run in May. It was every bit as hard as last time. These fire service roads are really really steep.

I had to stop partway up the hill to stretch and remove a few layers. Fog across the meadow clung to the trees. The sunshine slowly dissolved the visual moisture in the air. I was completely drenched in sweat, just a few miles into the run.

When we finally reached Peavine Ridge, my heavy breathing had leveled off. We were finally able to hold a conversation. With several undulations in the terrain, we began running for the first time at about mile 4. When we stopped for snacks, I pulled out my Nutrageous bar. I really love running with candy as fuel. Maybe I should write to Hershey’s and ask them to sponsor my running. Wouldn’t it be great if they paid for my races or at least kept me in chocolate bars? All the foods that I know aren’t good for me and I eat sparingly are staples in my backpacking and trail running fuels. I don’t like Clif Bars, and a king size chocolate bar really is yummy and full of calories.

By mile 8, Matt and I veered down a winding single-track on Thornton Trail. Mostly downhill, we coasted back into the valley. The forested area gave way to a sunny clearing. Unfortunately, all the clear areas in this park are scars left by the logging industry. Soaked hillsides routinely slide down into valleys. A lot of hillsides around here are like that. In fact, most of the nearby town of Stafford is buried under dirt. Some people rebuilt, most did not.

As we ran along, Matt and I discussed the difference in trail runners and road runners. I find that within myself, I fit into the stereotypes based on what my daily workout is. I run roads and calculate paces, splits, and PRs. I run trails without caring what my pace is, stopping frequently to snap pictures and enjoy great views. I love that I can enjoy both types of running as they each have their own merits.

I feel most natural as a runner while in the forest. Cruising downhill underneath a broken canopy of oak trees, like a forest animal. Strong form, quick on my feet, I almost glide down the trail. Matt echoed this sentiment and added that he wants to run across the Grand Canyon. For years, he’s been insisting that I see it. Lure me with running and I’m sold on it. Now to find a place in 2012 for a trip like that. Our schedule seems to be nearly full already.

At mile 11, we found ourselves in the valley once again. A quick sprint along the car road later, we were back on the trail. Up again. This time on Grasshopper trail, a fire road in equal steepness to the beginning of our run. Another 2,500 ft climb over three miles. The seventeen minute mile felt like a sprint even though I was walking. To satisfy curiosity, I took my pulse. Near 200bpm. No wonder trail running out here makes me faster! That’s around 90% of my max heart rate. I also figured out why I prefer running hills to intervals. Working that hard, I get a little dizzy and wobble as I move forward. It is much easier to catch myself if I fall at this walking pace. It also makes my buns burn like no other. Plenty hard without the clumsiness and risk of falling on my arm. Also, the scenery is better.

Sixteen miles along, we began our final descent to the valley and our car. I found that somewhere along this downhill, I tweaked the muscle right behind my knee. We crossed a stream one quarter mile from the car. It felt great on my sore legs. All bridges are removed for the season. If left in place, they wash downstream and are ruined. Luckily, we still haven’t gotten much rain. Bull Creek was only knee deep today. I ran through the Redwoods with frozen feet to the car. Awesome run.

We stretched back at the car and I couldn’t remember when a trail run made me so sore. Although we walked the uphills, the downhills were much quicker and it trashed my quads for a few days. Soreness is good.

The math:

22.1 miles.
4,770 ft. of elevation gain.
5:10.
13:50/mi.

No comments: