Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pimp My Ride?

Since I began running in 2002, I've been told that when it comes to running shoes, more support is better. I spent years trying to figure out what shoes work best for me simply by trial and error. Then I was fitted at a store and was recommended a heel lift (for an 1/2 inch leg discrepancy) and the Brooks Ariel (motion control) because of my severe over-pronation problems.

This past summer, I experimented with the Brooks Adrenaline (stability) just because I found it on super-deep clearance at the running store. I loved how it was nearly half a pound lighter and made me feel like I was flying. Soon I learned that my pronation problem wasn't as bad anymore and that the motion control shoes weren't necessary anymore. ((This was probably due to experience and overall strengthening of all the muscles of my leg, improvements in my form, and general fitness.))

But then I read this past month's Runners World. And the new trend is running in VFFs. They look like water shoes and are the new fad thing. They say that American shoes are too cushioned and are making our legs weaker. This made me think about my own shoes. Since I've had more success in lighter, less supportive shoes, maybe I'm okay to try a performance training (no specific cushioning or support properties=lighter yet) shoes. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd like to go with a cheaper shoe to try them out first and found this one :

Asics Gel Phoenix at 8.25 oz.



Anyone have experience going to a lighter shoe with mild over-pronation problems? Similar performance trainers are : Brooks Glycerin, Brooks Ghost, Asics Kayano, Asics 3020.

Should I cushion up and enjoy the ride? Or should I go lighter and fly on my own foot cushioning?

No comments: