Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Muncho Lake, BC to Fort Saint John, BC 9:45 am – 6:00 pm, 385 miles

Matt and I started our day with a run. At nearly 3,000 ft higher than we are used to, it was difficult. But it sure was beautiful. The Northern Rockies surrounded us on all sides. We climbed above Muncho Lake, just as the sun was coming up. We saw an elk cross our path near the hotel as we turned around.



Us with the Canadian Rockies

We are getting really efficient at packing the car each morning. It feels like doing a puzzle that I’ve completed several times. Speedy. In just a few days, we will have lots less to bring inside as we drive south and escape the freezing temps at night.



The drive goes by faster when we don't have to stop for lunch...so I ate
this for lunch for a week straight.

I drove the first four hours to Ft. Nelson. It was the last part through the mountains—the most active day of driving for me. Up, down, fast, slow, hairpin turns. Really pretty scenery, but I hardly had any time to enjoy it.

The mountains shrunk in my rearview mirror until we entered a prairie just outside Fort Nelson.



Bison and beef farms replaced rows and rows of trees. The highway significantly improved. It was still obvious that it gets cold here, with a scattered mix of birch and spruce trees—not much variety. Our hotel was especially nice. I was surprised they allowed pets. It had a pool, hot tub, and sauna….of which we took advantage.

No comments: