Monday, October 11, 2010

Beaver Creek, YT to Whitehorse, YT 272 miles, 9:15am- 4:30pm

Sunrise near Beaver Creek, YT

When I returned to the hotel key, the owner asked now about our stay, but how the cat slept. She must be a cat person! …or that people don’t usually travel with cats and she was curious. Low fog made for a quiet Canadian Thanksgiving Morning drive. We stopped to help a guy towing a fifth-wheel camper behind his truck. He didn’t need any help, but did mention it was his second flat tire in 30 miles.



Kluane Lake

Matt with the mountains

Me with the high pass

Eventually the fog burned off to reveal the Notzotin Mountains and Kluane Range, and Mt. St. Elias, Canada’s second tallest mountain was partially obscured by clouds.

This was Zoey’s least favorite day so far. Frost heaves for a couple hundred miles—poor kitty. We had an ice cream stop in Haines Junction.

Milkshake in Haines Junction


It felt weird ordering a milkshake as I stood there shivering. The fact that I felt weird about it means that my Alaskanness is wearing off already.

The drive from there to Whitehorse was laregely uneventful. We did see some sheep, elk and bison, but none close enough to photograph well. But as Matt mentioned, it’s better they are far away than on our car hood.



Bison, bison, everywhere

I was impressed by Whitehorse. It was easy to find trails to get our mid-week eight mile run in. Mostly by running along the Yukon River, we got a nice feel for what the town is like. As mentioned by Matt, “It’s like Fairbanks—minus all the drunk homeless people.”

running on the Yukon River trail, Whitehorse


train tracks parallel the river and path


My running buddy in the sunshine by the Yukon River


I like Whitehorse. Too bad we can’t stay longer. This place and surrounding Kluane Lake deserve further exploration. *le sigh* …someday. We also found ads for the International Relay Race, a 100+ mi relay running from Whitehorse to Skagway, AK along the Klondike Highway. Sounds fun and GORGEOUS!! I’ve been meaning to add to my “Things To Do Before I Die” list. …. Hmmm…

1 comment:

cherelli said...

We were in Skagway just after the relay had been through in Sep - I thought it looked like an awesome event too - count me in for your team (though I may not be overly fast!!)