Monday, October 31, 2016

Zoey: Update

It has been twenty months since Zoey's cancer diagnosis. The last post I made updating her condition was in January. Things looked grim. We didn't think she'd survive much past that date. But somehow she held on and even improved slightly as the days, weeks, and months passed.
December, 9.5 lbs. Her pre-cancer weight was 12.6 lbs.
In April, I wrote another post but it was never published and instead languished in the unfinished cluster of posts I'm not sure how to finish. Here's part of that draft, dated April 11th:


Pill time is much easier than it was at the beginning. Matt and I have mastered techniques that are different, yet work for both of us and Zoey. On occasion, she'll sink her claws into my hand, but I've noticed that's mostly when she's already having a bad day.

My biggest struggle with her initial diagnosis was the fear that I would hang on too long. The last thing I want is for her to suffer due to my fear of letting her go. We've had enough bad and good days for me to recognize the difference.

On good days, she likes to venture into the backyard and visit the catnip patch. She watches the birds from the window, chirping at them as they pick through the bird seed. She actively seeks out my snuggles. Zoey recognizes the sound of her cat food can opening. She meows impatiently until I can scoop some into the bowl.
Bad days are different. Food doesn't interest her much. She'll have a few nibbles here and there, but it's no longer worth a trot across the house. She's withdrawn and holes up in a quiet spot where she can rest uninterrupted. We've laid a fuzzy blue blanket over our guest room bed for her. It's quiet and warm and she doesn't come out for much. I come in every few hours to check on her and am always a bit relieved to see the rise and fall of her belly as she breathes. Deep inside, I'm secretly hoping that this is the where I'll find her when she finally leaves us.
Since April, the number of good days has steadily improved. When we went to the vet for her yearly checkup in September, the vet noted that her weight had gone up almost two pounds since January. For a cat with an intestinal-based cancer, this is a huge deal. Her coat looks amazing and her spunky personality has returned. Then the vet spoke the word I always hoped for but never expected would come: remission.

REMISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could it be? We weren't sure, but all signs pointed in that direction!!! Matt and I took a month to let the news sink in and then we called the vet to tell him we were going to begin reducing her chemo dose. He instructed us to cut it by half. We're ecstatic!

Not only is it a huge financial savings, but I've noticed how she's more lethargic after each dose so I'm sure it will help her feel better too. The vet told us that the first two weeks will confirm our suspicions. Either she will go downhill or she'll feel better. It has been three weeks so far and things have been going great. She's still her loving, plump self.
The "Healthy Housecat" Look. 10.8 lbs. in Sept.
I don't know what the future will hold for Zoey, but I'm thankful for each day we have together. :)

9 comments:

The Padre said...

Big Hugs

Mary said...

Yay! I was thinking your special post update was that you were going to have a baby! HA.

Kelly Smith said...

This post makes my heart happy : ) I love a happy kitty.

Linda W. said...

Glad to hear your kitty is doing better.

Karen said...

Thanks everyone!

Mary, That's what someone else said too. I'm not sure kids are in the cards for us. I've got my furred and feathered babies instead. :)

Abby said...

Oh great news, I really hope she is in remission. I know how much you love her and that our kitties are our babies. Woohoo Zoey!

bobbi said...

oh, this makes me happy!! so glad to hear your fur baby is doing so much better :)

Karen said...

I do too, Abby! My kitty is definitely my baby! :)

Thanks, Bobbi! Are you bummed it's not a human baby instead of my fur baby? hehe.

Cinthia Ritchie said...

Oh, I'm so, so glad that Zoey is doing better and in remission. That is such good news. Big hugs to all, and special pets to Zoey.