Inspired by the fall color photos all my Midwesterner friends have been sharing online and one too many fireside hard ciders, we decide to use the remainder of this three day weekend to head inland to the mountains. Since it's just a quick overnight, we can be impulsive, leaving the kitty and chickens with enough food and take off without calling in favors from friends to watch the zoo while we're away.
The next morning is a rush of excitement as gear is pulled from closets, thrown onto the floor, and then carefully squeezed into packs. Over the years, backpacking trips have become so routine that we can get all packed up in about an hour. We feed the critters, make a quick stop at the grocery store, and are soon on our way. Unfortunately, the two hour drive has been extended to three as road crews continue to add dirt and try to stabilize sections of perpetually crumbling mountainsides. It's always an uphill battle you might say, hehe.
It's already three o'clock when we reach the trailhead at Canyon Creek, the one nearest to our home and as a result, often the one we choose for quick getaways like this one. This time, we're motivated by the fall colors. Pockets of golden leaves adorn the otherwise green landscape. Matt is still recovering from the plague he had in September, so today I'm the stronger hiker. Even though he's struggling, he makes sure to tease me about my perfectly coordinated purple outfit.
![]() |
| I do love me some purple. |
I lead the way up-canyon and eventually the darkening sky grows lighter. The valley walls shrink as we arrive at the first bench at the edge of the forest. Great walls of granite tower overhead and we quickly add a few layers before setting up camp. The considerate sweetheart he is, Matt unknowingly carried up a second down jacket for me to wear. It's funny how long it took him to notice why he couldn't find his coat.
![]() |
| It fits over mine perfectly! |
From here, time slows down. The cozy cocoon of darkness eliminates all distractions. This is what I love best about backpacking trips. We have had some of our best conversations in this tent on chilly mountain nights. Tonight, the temperatures will only drop to forty, but it's enough to keep us snug in our beds telling stories until it's finally late enough to close our eyes for the night.
The next morning, nothing but the promise of hot coffee and oatmeal coaxes me from bed. I warm up quickly as I pack up the inside of the tent. A gloved hand reaches a steaming cup of hot coffee into the tent. As I reach for it, the hand (and cup) retreat. I follow.
The return trip, all downhill from here, is swift and effortless. Not twenty four hours after we left the car, we're back. What a perfect little getaway!









4 comments:
I love sneaking out for these late season trips!
Glad you and your hubby were able to slip away for one more outdoor trip!
Beautiful picture of your tent by night! I haven't stayed in a tent since August, sad :(
Thanks ladies! This trip was so much fun! :)
Post a Comment