My local running club has existed in some form or another for at
least the last fifty years. The non-profit tax ID number was issued in
1980, making it an official organization with both the IRS and Road
Runners Club of America. Of the original board members, only two
remained, the club treasurer, Bill, and Charlie. Although cancer was
eventually the reason Charlie stopped running, he didn’t stop
volunteering and giving his opinion on tough decisions at the board
meetings.
One of his most notable jobs, one that stretches
back at least one decade, was monitoring the course split at the fall
marathon.
I can still hear his voice.
“Full marathon to the left, half marathon to the right!” he shouted from
beneath his billowing cowboy hat.
 |
| Charlie accepting an award at the club party in January. |
Charlie passed away in a
car accident last month. As I ran through the final mile of the half
marathon yesterday, Rachel and I wondered who would be there standing in
his place. When we emerged from the forest and onto the bridge, I was
surprised to see the cowboy hat, same as every other time, greeting me.
For
a second, I thought my eyes were deceiving me. As the figure under the
hat came into view, I noticed it was Harry, the club VP. Instead of the
usual, “Thanks Charlie!” as I went by, I grinned from ear to ear.
“Thanks Harry, Charlie would approve of your hat”.
 |
| From this angle, it almost looks like Charlie. |
What a fitting and beautiful tribute to one of the men who made this running club so great.
3 comments:
What a great story! So great that one of Charlie's friends decided to carry on the tradition.
Nice post! And I love that the cowboy hat lives on. Cheers and happy running.
Linda, I thought it was a nice gesture. Harry is a thoughtful guy like that. :)
Cinthia, I'm curious to see if it was a one-time thing or if the hat will return every year.
Post a Comment