| Family Christmas shot modeling a few of our gifts. |
The number of bad days is catching up with the good. We continue to try new kinds of cat food and the moment we think she likes something and buy a box of cans, it's the moment she refuses to eat any more of it. It is both frustrating and heartbreaking. I know she doesn't mean to be picky.
Cuddled up on the couch that night, under the glow of our Christmas tree lights, we discussed our upcoming trip. We planned to leave the next morning to visit my brother for a week, but after a string of really bad days, we decided that if we were comfortable enough leaving her home, it was only by the slimmest of margins. "Zoey is cramping our travel style," Matt joked. Back in February when this all began, we used to joke and say this, talking about how we had to modify or eliminate trips due to her needs and that she was forcing us to be homebodies. But that night, it struck a nerve. "It's not her fault she's dying," I said back and burst into tears. It's becoming too real to be funny anymore.
Our decision that night was for Matt to stay behind. His boss was more than willing to give him his midnight shifts back and we had booked his ticket with airline miles, so if there's one trip we could easily cancel at the last minute it was this one. I was sad to leave Matt behind, but since we were traveling to visit my brother, it didn't make sense for him to go instead of me.
So I boarded a plane to New Mexico early on Christmas morning. At first, I felt a little guilty about leaving them behind, but Zoey seemed to be improving and Matt was sleeping the days away on his overnight shifts and didn't have time to miss me anyways.
I loved all the one-on-one time with my brother, Chris. It was fun to get to know his girlfriend, Monica, better. How she puts up with all that sarcasm, I'll never know (bless you for taking him off our hands, hehe!). I even got some fun runs in with their two dogs, Tammy and Skittles. Add in the unique beauty of northern New Mexico winter, it was precisely the distraction I needed.

6 comments:
<3 I'm sorry. I'm glad you had a nice time with your brother though!
I'm so sorry, it's hard taking care of and watching a family member fade. Maybe even harder that she can't tell you how much she loves you, but you guys know. What a lucky cat she's been to have had you as family.
Oh, I'm so sorry. Tears in my eyes...
We drove through NM on our way to AZ before Christmas. I'd never been to the southwest and I was astounded at the beauty there...I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.
Have you tried Hills a/d? You can get it from your vet. When my cats wouldn't eat anything else they would eat this. Vets give it to cats who don't want to eat.
So sorry to hear about Zoey. I've got sort of the same thing happening with my dog Bear. He'll be 14 this month, is not doing very well, and I knew that this would be his last Christmas. It's heartbreaking to see our beloved pets deteriorate.
Thanks ladies. I know most of you have furry friends of your own, and I know we all go through this part, but wow, it sucks and never gets easier the more you go through it.
Lynn, I have tried Hills a/d. Our vet calls it "Kitty cat crack". She doesn't love it, but it seems to be easy enough on her body that she doesn't completely refuse it. Right now, she's on the canned Friskies stuff. It's basically the kitty equivalent of McDonalds, but whatever she'll eat, I'll keep buying.
Linda, I'm sorry to hear about Bear. I've seen him in many of your blog posts and can tell he loves every adventure with you. Big hugs to you two!
Post a Comment